Chapter 42

When I opened my eyes again I saw I was still in the hospital. The disgusting smell of disinfection was the same as the awful white walls. This time I was alone, no one was here. Darkness told me it was nighttime. I groped for some light and touched a little thing with my hand. It was the earring, I remembered attacking Aron with it. A shiver ran down my back. Aron. Where was he now? What would he do? Didn't the police officer say someone died? But I knew the person who died wasn't John. Everybody believed he was the monster, so they probably took him into jail. How hard it had to be for him. I sighed, knowing that I had to persuade people who the real monster was.

But now it wouldn't help to think. It was clear what I had to do, but in the middle of the night that was impossible. I turned around, looking at the earring and closing my hand around it, slowly falling asleep.

The world around me changed. I was standing in a jail. Everywhere there were police men. Suddenly they created a row and got out some guns. Through a gap I saw they aimed on somebody. Lots of shots made my ears cringe. When they walked away I saw a corpse laying on the ground. Slowly I walked towards it and turned it around. Dead brown eyes  stared at me, making me feel guilty.

Screaming I woke up. There was light inside of the room and again the police man sitting there. He looked up to me, quite confused about my scream. Then he decided to ignore it and walked over to me, shaking my hand. "Well last time wasn't the best talk I've ever had", he said as if it was my fault. What a stupid bureaucratic! Hey the voice inside of my head was back. Not that I missed it, of course not. I nodded as a reply and didn't wait for a question. "Let me tell you one thing, John is not the guilty one. I can tell you the whole story if you let me.", I waited for his reaction, as a police officer he should be interested in the truth. When I was finished with the whole story I looked at his face waiting for a comment. But there was no one. He lost his tongue. After a while of thinking and coughing he gave me a concerned look. "What did he do to you to make you lie for him?", he asked me slowly, shaking his head. Desperation filled my soul when I saw he didn't believe me. Not a single word.

Then he told me that one bullet found its way into Hector Depp's heart. My head shot up as I heard the name. "Hector Depp?", I asked shocked. I felt my world turning as he explained that Hector was the uncle of John and showed me a picture of the boss. He was dead. And he was Johns uncle. Why did he never mention that? Was it a secret? He decided to shoot his own uncle to save me. That warmed my heart and made me shiver at the same time. "Can I see John?", I asked now shyly. All of the anger was gone, released by the truth. I needed to look into his eyes, clearing things up, knowing he was alright, inside and out. "I'm not the one who has to decide that", the idiot shrugged his shoulders. I wanted to strangle him for his unconcern, but forced myself to stay calm and smile. If I was reasonable I had the best chances. First of all I had to get out of hospital and then into jail.