Jack Kelly

After weeks of working at the theatre

"Good morning, Bailey." Miss Medda came in with a tray of food.
"Mornin'." I stretched.
"Eat up, then get ready for the day." She told me. "A very good friend of mine is coming to work on a painting."
"Got it." I nodded, taking the tray. "Thank you."
"You're welcome." Miss Medda left. On the tray was a bowl of porridge with a thick layer of apple pieces and brown sugar. Beside the bowl was a spoon and a cup of coffee, and a little cup of sugar. I quickly ate the porridge, then drank the coffee.
Then I re-brushed my hair and tied it back into a ponytail with a dark purple ribbon. Inside the wardrobe were a few dresses. I chose an old, light blue dress and tied an apron around the waist. Admiring myself in the mirror, I slipped on my boots.
"Miss Medda?" I called when I stepped backstage. I saw her talking a a boy. He was wearing the things a newsie would.
"Oh, hello!" She responded, beckoning me over to them.
"My, my." He grinned. "Who is this?"
"Jack, this is Bailey Robinson. Bailey, Jack Kelly."
"Hello, Jack Kelly." I greeted him.
"Hi, Bailey." Jack smiled, brushing his brown hair out of his face.
"Bailey, if you could sweep around the theatre?" Miss Medda asked.
"Uhuh." I began sweeping, and soon it was time for Jack to leave.
"Hey, Bailey." Miss Medda called before he left. "Why don't you go with Jack? You can meet the other Newsies."
"Alright." I glanced at Jack, who was fitting his cap back on his head.

"You ready to go?" He asked.

"Oh, and Bailey?" Miss Medda stopped me.

"Yeah?" I glanced my bright blue eyes back at her.

"You might want to bring a few things, it'll be dark by the time you come back."

"Okay." I ran back to my room and picked up my old bag. In it I put the hairbrush, my books, my diary, my teddy bear, and my old clothes. Then I ran back. "Ready."

"Let's go."  Jack led me out.

"Bye, Miss Medda!"

By the time we got to Newsie square, the sun had gone down. Jack brought me to an old-looking house.

"The guys are a lot." He warned me grimly before swinging open the door. The voices of a load of boys got louder when the door opened. They silenced when they noticed me. A tall blond boy with a cigar approached the door.

"Hey, sweetheart." He flirted. 

"Ah, get stuffed, Race!" Jack shoved past him gently.

"See you tonight." Race winked as I passed. I rolled my blue eyes at him.

"Jack, who's this?" A boy with glasses asked.

"Bailey!" A familiar voice called excitedly. I looked, and Crutchie was hobbling towards me.

"Crutchie!" I grinned, and we hugged.

"Jack, Bailey's the goil  who soaked dat fella!" Crutchie exclaimed.

"Bailey Robinson!" The glasses boy yelled. Then, a series of "So that's Bailey!" wafted around the room.

"Bailey, this is Specs, Albert, Mush, Race, Henry, Tommy Boy, Kid Blink, Jojo, Finch, Buttons, Smalls, Romeo," Jack introduced, "and Elmer"

Elmer stood out to me. He had clean black hair and a wide smile. His face is like that of a toddler. Kind of adorable?

"C'mon, let's go up onto the roof." Jack led me up onto the rooftop. Crutchie followed less quickly. Once we got up, Jack threw his hands up in the air. "Welcome to my penthouse in the sky!" He shouted into the night, then turned around to face Crutchie and I.

"So, did ya see anything ya like down dere?" Crutchie asked, clearly talking about if I thought any of the boys were attractive.

"No," I grinned, a blush creeping onto my cheeks.