Medda's Offer

Later that day, we went to the theatre to see Medda.

"Hey, kids!" She called from the stage. Her and a few other people were setting up props for a show tonight.

"Hi, Miss Medda." I called back to her. I noticed a blacked haired girl on stage. She fit Crutchie's description perfectly. Medda hopped down from the stage to talk to us.

"I was just about to go talk to you." She told us. Elmer's head tilted in confusion.

"'Bout what?" He asked.

"You see," she began “, I've got this vacation house upstate. Would you two and Crutchie be fine with missing a few days work?"

I looked at Elmer.

"To stay in your vacation house?" Elmer checked. Miss Medda nodded.

"I is." I nodded.

"Me too." Elmer agreed.

"Great!" She clapped her hands. "Now all that needs to be done is ask Jack and Kathy, then get in the carriage."

"I'm could talk ta him." The black haired boy offered.

"Thanks." Miss Medda smiled.

"When would we's be leavin'?" I asked.

"Tomorrow." She replied.

"Uh, yeah I's can miss a few days." I decided. Elmer nodded.

"Perfect." Miss Medda smiled, then motioned for Anne to come talk. "This is Anne Bruno."

"Hi." Anne said nervously once she got there. She was eyeing Elmer.

"This is Olive and Elmer." Medda introduced. "She'll be coming with us."

"Yeah– yeah, there's someone I was hoping you know." Anne pulled a strand of curly hair behind her ear. It bounced right back.

"We might." Elmer reached for my hand, clearly noticing her stares. I took it, and her face fell.

"He's got– he's got a crutch?" Anne stammered.

"Crutchie." I grinned.

"That's his name?" Her jaw dropped. I nodded. "Well, uh, would he want to come upstate with us?"

"We's will ask." Elmer promised.

"Thank you." The green eyed girl smiled with relief.

"Well, kids, we have to get back to setting up." Medda ushered us out. "If you can, please head back when the Circulation Bell rings."

"Bye!" We said in unsion. So now we're out on the streets.

"We's goin' upstate!" Elmer said excitedly.

"And Crutchie's gotten his goil!" I told him. "He was tellin' me 'bout her."

"That's great!" We were now walking back to the Lodging House. On the way, we happened to run into Crutchie. Literally, we ran into him.

"Oof!" The crippled boy grunted as he fell.

"Shi– I's so sorry!" I helped him up. Elmer passed him his crutch.

"It– it's okay." He dusted himself off.

"We's got good news." Elmer gave him a quick hug.

"What's up?" Crutchie started walking again, so we did too.

"We's talked ta Anne." I told him excitedly. Crutchie stopped.

"What?" His face was bright red.

"So Medda's invited me, Elmer, and Anne to some place upstate for a few days." I explained quickly.

"Anne wants you ta come." Elmer jutted in.

"Really?" Crutchie practically squealed. We both nodded. "I's gotta come!"

"It's tommorow." Elmer informed him.

"That's works." Crutchie adjusted his crutch.

The lame boy was talking about Anne the entire way back. And about an hour after getting there. Jack had Honeybelle. I was leaning on Elmer, who had his arms wrapped around me. Honeybelle started playing with my shoelaces, causing Jack to chuckle and start playing with her.

I wonder what upstate New York is gonna be like. No buildings, I'm sure. I thought to myself. Crutchie ended up falling asleep on an armchair a few hours later. Elmer did the same, and Jack looked at me with a grin.

"You's trapped." He laughed.

"It's fine." I smiled. "I's comfortable."

"Crutchie told me that you's goin' upstate for a few days." The boy stroked Honeybelle. "Good luck."

"With what?" I tilted my head.

"That's the best time ta win ova Elmer!" He told me.

"I know." I nodded.

"Good luck, still."