Someone's gonna die?

I woke up expecting to be in my bed. I was still in the fort, head on Elmer's shoulder and his head against mine. He was hugging my arm like a stuffed animal. He'd wake up if I got up. It wasn't light out, so the Morning Bell hadn't rung yet. It had to be around 6:00, and the bell rings at 7:30. I decided to wiggle out of the fort, not waking anyone. I then crept quietly onto the roof to see the sunrise. I leaned against the rail, looking at the sky until it turned into an array of pinks and purples and oranges. Then the sun came up, lighting up the city.

"Olive?" I heard someone say, and I turned to see Crutchie. He was rubbing his eyes. "What're ya doin' up here?"

"I's just wanted ta watch da sunrise." I told him as he stood next to me.

"I saw ya get up this mornin', and I figured I's would see what you's up to." The blond boy said, adjusting his crutch.

I guess I did wake someone up. I thought to myself.

"How's things goin' with Elmer?" He asked.

"We's friends." I shrugged.

"Have ya gotten him anything for his birthday?" Crutchie pressed. "It's tomorrow."

"I know." I nodded. "I did get 'im somethin' actually."

"OoO, what'd ya get him?" The lame boy asked. 

"Don't tell anyone." I looked at him. "He gave me his hat 'cause he's sayin' that the creeps go afta the goils more than boys, so I'd sometimes try ta tuck my hair into it."

"Right." Crutchie nodded.

"I's got him a hat." I told him in a hushed tone.

"That's a great idea!" He exclaimed.

"Isn't it?" I grinned.

"That game he's shown us was interesting, huh?" Crutchie said, trying to make conversation.

"It was somethin'." I replied, looking at the sunrise. The Morning Bell chimed. "Time ta sell!"

I was still in all my Newsie gear, so I didn't have to do anything to get ready. I pulled my own hat out of my pocket and fastened it on my head.

"Time ta sell." Crutchie and I went down to wake the boys up. Most of them were up and milling around, but not Elmer of course. I sat next to him a shook him.

"Elmer!" I hissed. "Wake up." I noticed that Honeybelle was curled up in his lap. I had barely seen her last night. His chocolate brown eyes cracked open.
"Mornin' Bell?" He asked groggily.

"Yeah." I told him, and he stretched, knocking Honeybelle out of her place. He then got out of the fort, me close behind him. He was holding Honeybelle in his arms. I noticed the basket we won was in the corner. The black haired boy slung his selling bag over is shoulder, and I hand't taken mine off from yesterday.

"Did ya like da game?" Elmer asked as we walked outside. 

"It was interestin'." I told him, remembering what Crutchie had said.

"It's one of da easier games my grandma taught me." The boy said, putting the white, orange, and black kitten on his shoulder.

"I's thinkin' everyone had fun." I nodded, smiling.

"Good." Elmer beamed, turning around and calling out: "Here comes da headline!"

Michael Snyder And Patrick Kailem: Hanging At Dawn.

(a/n: I don't know Snyder's real first name so I made one up.)

Cheers erupted around the cluster of News Boys.

"Exciting, huh?" Morris asked as he slid open the gate, allowing us all to flow out.

"If I didn't know any betta, I'd say dat you both was behind his escape." Jack stood in front of the brothers.

"Yeah, and why is that?" Oscar asked, an edge to his voice. I saw Davey walk over and drag Jack away before a fight broke out. There was a little  boy accompanying the tall one. He noticed me, and pulled on Jack's sleeve.

"Jack, who's that?" He asked in a squeaky voice. Jack, Davey, and the little boy went over to me.

"Les, this is Olive." Jack told him. "Olive, Les."

"Hi, Les." I smiled. "How old are you?"

"I'm eleven." Les told me before shrugging. "Almost."

"Les, come on." Davey led Les away to buy papers.

"Their parents was gonna pull them outta sellin' once their old man got a job, but they let them stay." Jack informed me.

"Got it." I nodded, and me , Elmer, and Jack went into the line. We then all bought our papes and went separate ways, except Elmer and I stayed together.

"Snyder put to death!" I shouted, earning myself a few buyers.

"Library raided ta find Michael Snyder and Patrick Kailem with hostages!" Elmer yelled.

"Is that true?" Standing in front of me was a little girl in a light blue collared dress. She had curly black hair, dark skin, and freckles. "Someone's gonna die?"

"He's done very bad things." I knelt down to her level.

"Like what?" She asked.

"He hurt my friends." I told the little girl gently. "And sista."

"If someone hurts my baby brother they should be punished." She nodded understandingly.

"What's your name?" I asked.

Where is her mother? I thought to myself, peering over her little shoulder.

"Clara." The girl responded.

"My name is Olive." I used Medda's little lesson to control my accent. "Where's your mother?"

"Gone." Clara shrugged.

"Gone?" I looked around.

"She's not here anymore." She said stiffly. "She was gone after Elmer was born."

Elmer heard his name and walked over.

"What's goin' on?"

"Clara, this is Elmer." I told her. "Her brother's name is Elmer."

"Kitty!" Clara squealed and reached out to pet Honeybelle, who was perched on his shoulder. She started purring.

"Well uh, Clara, where's your mother?" The black haired boy asked.

"Gone." Clara and I said at the same time.

"Oh. Well my mother's gone too." Elmer told her.

"Mine too." I smiled at the little girl. "Is your father around?"

Clara nodded and pointed to a man holding a baby.

" 'Scuse me!" Elmer called to him, causing the man to turn and spot his daughter. He then walked briskly over.

"Clara!" He scolded before turning to us. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay." I grinned.

"What's the news?" He looked at our paper bags.

"Snyder and another man was arrested last night afta hiding unda da Library with about thirteen hostages." Elmer informed him.

"Here you go." The man passed us each a quarter and was handed a paper from each of us, but only took one. "I'm Harvey Clint."

"Olive Robinson." I held out my hand. He shook it.

"Elmer Kasprzak." Elmer did the same, and Harvey shook it and left with Clara and the baby.