Elmer's Birthday

(A/n: For whoever stuck it out to Chapter 22 (about 1 person, you know who you are), I'm just gonna say that there's not going to be any smut. Just fluff, so if that's what you're here for, lemme save you the disappointment😂)

We finished selling around noon.

"We's should go to da park." I suggested.

"Yeah!" Elmer nodded enthusiastically. We happened to be walking towards the tree that we were at one night. Then we both sat at the base of the trunk.

"So Crutchie's tellin' me that it's your birthday!" I grinned.

The black haired boy did some counting on his fingers. "Already?"

"Yep." I nodded. "July 23."

"Then it is my birthday!" He looked excited. I reached into my pocket to grab his hat.

"Happy birthday!" I handed it to him. A smile spread across his face as he took it.

"Ya got this when we when ta da market?" The black haired boy guessed. I nodded, grinning widely.

"I's did." I nodded rapidly.

"Thank you." Elmer wrapped me in a tight hug, and I returned it. Once we departed, the boy fit the cap on his head. The brownish-green cap didn't clash against his black hair.

"Looks great." I told him. A thought hit me.

Doesn't the Deli have a birthday discount?

"Let's go to da Deli." I stood up and reached my hand out for him to grab. He took it, and I pulled him up with a little difficulty.

"Sure." We began walking out of the park and towards the Deli. It wasn't very crowded, so we went in and took a table. Mr. Jacobi came over to us to take our order.

"Elmer!" He exclaimed. "And Bailey! It's been while since I've seen you both."

"It's Olive now." I told the man.

"I heard Harriet got beat up bad." He had a sadness in his eyes. "How's she doin'?"

"She's doin' okay." I nodded.

"Y'know," Mr. Jacobi started. "My son's carryin' a torch for her."

"Percy?" I gaped. His son isn't exactly bad looking, but in other words, he's gorgeous. He's got light brown hair that goes down to just over his ears (a/n: For a better example I'd say like Jack from Titanic.), sea green eyes, and was well built.

"Percy hasn't stopped talking about Harriet since last time you both were here." He smiled.

"I'll bring him in to see her." I promised. Elmer was sitting awkwardly beside me.

"What can I get for ya?" Mr. Jacobi asked us.

"Isn't there a birthday thing?" I asked quietly.

"Yes!" His eyes lit up. "A free cup of tea for everyone in the group, and a $1 cake."

"Can we 's please get that?" I passed him two dollars. One was for tip. The man went back to fetch the cake and tea. 

"Mr. Jacobi's got a son?" Elmer asked, puzzled.

"A son and a daughter." I told him. "Percy's 19, and Franny is 14."

"And Percy carries a torch for Harriet?" He put his hands on the table.

"Yes." I nodded.

"Does she carry one for him?" The black haired boy questioned.

"I dunno." My brow furrowed. "She neva said anythin' 'bout boys."

"That Percy?" Elmer nodded towards a light brown haired boy standing behind the counter.

"It is!" I said a little too loudly. Percy looked over.

"Hey, Bailey!" He walked over.

"I's Olive now." I told him.

"How's Harriet?" He asked, smiling when he saw Elmer. "Hey, man."

"Hey, Perc." Elmer grinned.

"Harriet's doin' okay." I repeated. "I's can take ya in ta see her."

"When?" Percy asked enthusiastically.

"Today." I glanced at Elmer, who nodded.

"Great!" He exclaimed, turning when Mr. Jacobi came back out with the tea and cake. It was a carrot cake.

"Thank you." I said as he placed the things on our table.

"Anytime." He smiled.

"Father, is it okay if I cut my shift early? I'm gonna see Harriet." Percy beamed.

"Of course." The man nodded. "Enjoy your food. Leave them alone, Percy."

The two went back into the kitchen.

"Bonappetit." I pushed his tea toward him.
(A/n: I don't know how to spell that word.)
The boy grinned, then put a bunch of sugar cubes into his steaming cup.

"D'ya want any tea with your sugar?" I laughed, putting 2 in mine.

"C'mon! I's got a sweet tooth!" Elmer grinned, taking a sip. I did as well, soon realized that the tea was still bitter even with the two sugar cubes. I felt a scowl replaced the grin on my face, purely from the bitter. Elmer burst out in laughter. I reached over to pick up a few more cubes and dropped them in.

"Ya got a sweet tooth now?" He snickered.

"It is so bitter." I placed the cup down to wait for the sugar to dissolve. The cake was the size of a ramekin and cut down the middle. I took a half and put it on my saucer, and Elmer did the same.

"What's ya favorite kind of cake?" He asked.

"I ain't sure..." I pondered. "Maybe red velvet, but I's ain't had any since It's was four."

"Mine's carrot." He smiled and took a huge bite of his piece, using a fork of course.

"Then that works out!" I exclaimed. He smiled and took another bite, and I did the same.

Eventually, we both got full and finished our tea. I stood up and looked at the clock. 5:37 pm.

"I's thinkin' it's about time ta go see Harriet." I told him.

"Yeah." Elmer nodded, then called out to the kitchen. "Hey, Percy, we's gonna head out now, ya comin'?"

Percy poked his head out, then the rest of his body.

"Yeah!" He jogged over to us, and we went out the door.