You Let Him Fall

Anne and I ran back to where the boys were to find Crutchie soaking wet and almost clinging onto Elmer.

"What happened?" Anne yelped.

"He fell." Elmer muttered, ashamed.

"He fell?" I echoed.

"You let him fall." Anne accused him.

"What– no!" Elmer looked taken aback.

"Nah, I's practically jumped." Crutchie spluttered as Elmer walked him into shore. I gave him his crutch. "Ya should've seen me, I's lookin' like a fish."

"Y–yeah." Elmer laughed, giving Anne a side-eye, as she was glaring at him. She smiled dryly.

"Hey, uh, we's should go back ta the house." I suggested. Elmer nodded as walked over to me.

"Thanks." He breathed in my ear.

"No problem." I grinned. Anne and Crutchie agreed and we all headed back. Miss Medda was solving a jigsaw puzzle on the kitchen table. It appeared to be a hummingbird or something.

"That was fast." She commented without looking up.

"Crutchie fell in the water." I told her.

"Oh, that's awful." She looked up at the lame boy. His blond hair was spiky from the water.

"It's fine." Crutchie shrugged.

"I can make you tea?" Medda offered.

"No thanks. I's fine." He shook his head.

"Are you sure?" She pressed. He nodded.

"Olive, let's go upstairs." Elmer asked. I nodded, and we both went up the stairs and into our room. "I's gettin' a weird feelin' 'bout Anne."

"Kinda?" I cocked my head to one side.

"Like, she seems, I guess, negative?" He sat down on the bed, brow furrowed.

"Well, she don't really like you, I don't think." I sat down beside him.

"Why?" He shook his head.

"There ain't no reason not ta like you." I looked at him sincerely.

"There's a few." Elmer shrugged. "Like I's too–"

"Perfect?" I grinned. "Or fun?"

"Or childish." He finished his sentence bitterly.

"If she don't like you, that's her problem." I said firmly. His chocolate brown eyes were scanning the room.

"But–" The black haired boy started.

"But you's perfect." I put my hand on his shoulder. He was looking at the hardwood floors. "Okay?"

"Okay." He mumbled. He then stood up and stretched. "Thanks."

"No problem." I smiled.

We headed downstairs and just hung out for the rest of the day. Anne was a little vague, but otherwise she was nice. Crutchie had changed his clothes and fell asleep on one of the fancy armchairs. Anne barely peeled her green gaze off of him to talk to me, Elmer, or Medda. Elmer and I would occasionally snicker to eachother if she didn't look away in a few moments.

That evening, we all just dispersed after dinner. Me and Elmer sat on our bed and played a game. One of us uses one hand, the cat, and the other uses two, the mice. The cat has to try and catch the mice in order to win.

"Damn!" Elmer shouted as I caught his last 'mouse'.

"Language!" I gasped.

"Sorry." The black haired boy grinned and we started a new round. I was really good at this game, we learned. Eventually, he fell asleep. I did as well a little bit later.

I woke up early in the morning. 2:13, to be exact. If was pitch black in the room.Elmer's arm was draped across me. I smiled and put it beside him. He stirred, hugging my arm.

Why does he always hug things in his sleep? I thought to myself. After a few moments, I fell asleep.

(A/n: I'm thinking about wrapping up this fanfiction book. I'm not sure yet, but thoughts? Aye or nay for finishing this?)