Welcome

As soon as the carriage stopped, Elmer jumped out and offered me his hand.

"We ain't on them stinkin' streets no more." He grinned as the four of us walked towards a big house in the middle of a field, a forest beside it. Medda was walking in front of us.

"Welcome, welcome!" She swung open the door to reveal a clean, pretty country house. "Now, the thing is: there are three bedrooms."

I looked at Elmer and we both shrugged. Anne and Crutchie looked panicked.

"Anne, would you be okay with sharing a room with Crutchie?" Medda clearly wanted them to get together as well. Anne nodded hesitantly, and Crutchie followed suit.

"Olive and I's already sharin' a room." Elmer told her, and she nodded.

"Okay, so Elmer with Olive, Anne with Crutchie." She muttered to herself. "I'll show you your rooms."

She led all of us up the stairs. Mine and Elmer's room was the first on the right. It had a huge window with a veiw of the forest, a queen sized bed, and other fancy things that I hadn't seen since I was young. We both put down our stuff and looked around.

In deeper detail, the walls were tanned, and the base boards, door, and window border was dark oak. The wooden floors were a lighter shade. Light poured into the room, making it bright and clean.

"Wow." Elmer breathed.

"I ain't been in a place like this is a long time." I smiled.

"I don't think I's eva been in a place like this." He was still looking around in wonder. Then he turned to me. "I's got a question."

"I might have an answer." I nodded. He sat me down on the bed.

"Rememba how we pretended ta be a couple for the discount?" He asked. I nodded. "And how we would say that we's a couple ta get out of tough things?"

"Uh-huh." I nodded again.

"Well, I's was thinkin'..." The black haired boy trailed off. "What if it didn't have ta be fake?"

I pondered for a second. Then, I slammed my lips into his, causing him to topple over on the bed. Even though we landed on the bed, he hugged me as if he'd caught me from falling off.

"Ain't that a yes?" He asked, pulling away.

"Uh-huh." I grinned.

"Great." He reconnected our lips. This time it lasted longer. His hands traced gently across my back. Now it was my turn to pull apart. Instead of saying anything, I sat up. He was very red when he sat up. I felt in a lighter mood than I usually was.

"Let's go explore the place." I suggested as I stood up, offering the boy my hand. Elmer took it and when he was standing, pulled me in for another quick kiss. Then we left the room. Anne and Crutchie were probably making awkward small talk in their own room.

"We's gonna go explore." Elmer told Medda on our way out. From the front patio, there was a huge green forest on the left and fields of tall grass on the right. A little ways ahead was a lake.

"Where to?" I looked at him. He was eyeing the forest. "Let's go."

I ran. It's a load easier to run fast when I'm wearing knickers instead of skirts. Elmer followed suit, turns out he's a little bit faster than me. He got to the forest an instant before me. We were both panting. The tall trees loomed up above our heads. It wasn't like the tame kept trees at the park.

"This is gonna be fun." Elmer breathed, taking it all in.