River Day

"So all of us is goin'?" Crutchie checked as we walked across the field, towards the river.

"Ya couldn't tell?" I grinned, motioning towards Anne, Medda, and Elmer. Crutchie rolled his eyes.

"Crutch, can ya even swim?" Elmer asked. Crutchie shook his head in embarrassment. "I's can."

"Me too." Anne declared, black curls bouncing.

"Uh-huh." I nodded in agreement. The river was getting closer, still glittering in the sunlight. I could see herons pecking at the water in hopes to catch a fish. Crutchie was looking ashamed. Maybe he can't get his crutch wet. As we got closer, I could see smaller fish darting in the water. Elmer took off his shoes and ran straight into the calm waves. I grinned, took off my own shoes, and stayed on shore for a bit. Anne was wading in the water, so Crutchie and I were walking across the beach. He was having some trouble because of the sand and stones underneath his crutch.

"How's things with Elmer?" He asked.

"He asked me ta be his goil." I told him quietly.

"In those words?" The lame enjoy raised an eyebrow. Elmer doesn't really say goil.

"Nah, but somethin' along those lines." I shook my head.

"Well, what'd ya say?" Crutchie pressed.

"I accepted." I informed him excitedly.

"That's great!" He beamed.

"How's 'bout you and Anne?" I asked.

"I dunno." The blond haired boy's brows furrowed.

"Well, has she been hintin' anythin'?" I questioned.

"Not really." He rubbed his neck.

"Okay..." I thought aloud. "How did last night pan out?"

"She insistin' on sleepin' on the floor." Crutchie said bitterly. "So I slept on the couch across the room."

"Maybe she ain't ready to share a bed with you." I suggested. "She did want ya to come."

"I guess." He shrugged.

"It'll turn out good." I promised.

"Hopefully." The lame boy looked out at the water wistfully.

"How come ya can't at least stand in it?" I asked.

"Can't get my crutch wet." He told me absent mindedly.

"What if ya held on to someone?" I tried.

"If they's was strong enough ta keep me from drownin' if I go unda." The boy said, turning around to get back to the others.

"Elmer's strong enough." I told him.

"Maybe." Crutchie looked down.

We walked the rest of the way back in silence. Elmer was swimming in the middle of the river and Anne was still wading back and forth. Her eyes lit up when she saw Crutchie, but she instantly looked away. Elmer noticed that we were here, and swam over.

"Hey, I's got a favor." I called once he was in earshot.

"What's up?" He nodded.

"Can ya give Crutchie a hand in the water?" I asked.

"Of course!" The black haired boy shuffled out of the water, slung Crutchie's arm over his shoulder, and helped him limp into the water. Anne beckoned me over.

"Can we talk for a minute?" She asked quietly, stepping out of the water.

"Sure." I nodded as we started walking the opposite direction Crutchie and I did.

"Can you please tell me a few things about Crutchie?" She asked nervously.

"He likes cats." I said automatically.

"I'm allergic." Anne muttered.

"I's thinkin' his last name is Morris, but I dunno his real first one." I told her.

"Why does he have a crutch?"

"He's got polio."

"Is it contagious?" She asked nervously.

"I dunno." I shook my head. (Update on December 2: ..Just learned that poliovirus is in fact contagious.)

"I hope not." The black haired girl shuddered. "D– does he like girls?"

"For the most part." I nodded. "Either he's Bi or straight."

"Okay." She let out a breath.

"Why?" I asked, my lips curving up in a smile.

"No reason." Anne replied quickly.

"Sure." I dragged the words. Shouts came from behind us, where Elmer and Crutchie were.