Took on The Lamb

When we got back to the Lodging House, Jack was sitting in the same place as last night.
"What da hell, you guys!" He exclaimed when we opened the door.
"What?" I asked, confused.
"How could ya not tell us dat you's has a cat?" He slid off the couch, revealing a purring Honeybelle surrounded by a load of cooing News Boys.

"Oh no." I heard Elmer mutter.
"We found her outside the Lodging House." I told Jack calmly.
"When?" He asked.
"A few days ago." I replied.
"And why didn't I know about it?" The lead Newsie asked.
"I thought you's would make us put her back outside." Elmer jumped in.
"Why da heck would I throw that out?" He gestured towards the kitten who was now chasing a shoelace, which Race was flicking back and forth. I heard Crutchie laugh as she jumped.
"I just thought—" The boy began.
"C'mon, Elmer!" Jack grinned. "Ya know I's got a soft spot for cats."
"So we'd can keep her?" I asked hopefully.
"Of course!" Jack scoffed.
"Thank you, Jack!" I smiled happily.
"What's her name?" Jojo asked, looking up from the kitten.
"Honeybelle." Elmer told him, closing the door. It's around 8:30.
"Cute!" Buttons pat her head. I headed over to the cluster of boys. 

What a bunch of girls, I thought.

"She chose me!" I heard someone squeal, and I turned to see Finch with Honeybelle climbing up his sleeve. "She chose me!"

I grinned, glancing at Elmer, who was joking around with Crutchie. His smile was so wide, despite the purple bruise on his face. But Jack, on the other hand, was looking somber as ever. I stepped over to him.

"Hey, Jack, can I talk to ya?" I whispered to him. He was sucked out of his thoughts back into reality.

"Wha- Yeah." He muttered, and we walked up onto the roof. Instead of how excited he was last time, the eighteen year old boy just walked over and placed his hands on the metal rail of the fire escape.

"What's wrong?" I asked grimly, taking off the hat.

"Nothin'." He grunted, observing the dark streets.

"It's somethin'." I stood next to him, looking over gingerly.

"It's Snyder." Jack admitted.

"Who exactly is Snyder?" I asked. Although Elmer had already told me, I wanted Jacks view of it.

"Snyder. The Spiter." The boy spat. "Ran a prison for under aged kids called the Refuge. The more kids he brought in, the more the city paid him. Problem is, all dat money went right into his own pocket."

"That's bad." I watched a pair of men down on the streets. One of them looked up at me, sending chills down my spine.

"During the strike," Jack growled flatly. "He took Crutchie."

"Crutchie?" I gasped.

"When we's stopped da wagons, they got him." The boy put replaced his hand with his elbow, hand on his forehead. "Dey soaked him with his crutch."

"What kind of person does that?" I shook my head.

"When he was released, and the Refuge shut down, Crutchie was da one who cuffed him and sent him away."

"You're worried Snyder would hurt Crutchie." I guessed.

"How could I not be?" Jack threw his hands up into the air in exasperation. "I mean, that bastard would murder any one of the Newsies, but with Crutchie, he won't make it quick."

"What about you, Jack?" I'd heard about the danger Crutchie's in, but Jack?

"I's was arrested when I was younga, but I got out." The boy began. "A few years later, I was getting food and clothes for the boys, and he got me."

"That's when Alice went to the orphanage?" I said, smoothing out my hat-head. Jack nodded.

"I left off the back of Teddy Roosevelt's carriage." The corners of his mouth twitched a little.

"And now you's here." I put my hand on his shoulder lightly for a moment before removing it.

"And now I's here." Jack smiled a little bit before pushing off the rail in frustration. "And so's he."

"They find him!" I squeaked, trying to calm him down.

"When?  Before or after he gets to one of us?" He shouted, voice cracking. "What if he get ta you?"

"He-" I started.

"Even Elmer can't win against Snyder." I saw tears pricking his green eyes.

"Jack, just try ta look on da bright side!" I shouted, making Jack stop. "Not everything has ta be da worst possible outcome."

"I's just don't know what I'd do without Crutchie." He half whispered, half cried.
"Crutchie ain't goin' anywhere." I said firmly.
"You don't know dat." He sat down.
"I know dat it's better to be hopeful." I retorted. "Just try ta be optimistic. For Crutchie."
"F-for Crutchie." He looked up at me with a watery smile. I nodded.
"Dya wanna come back down?" I asked gently. He shook his head.
"You go on ahead." Jack told me. "I'll be there."
I nodded and went back downstairs.
"Ay, Olive!" Elmer shouted. "I's need ya to settle this one thing."
I went over to him, and Race was giving me puppy eyes. Elmer was looking at me the way he normally does.
"What's up?" I stopped in front of the two. Jojo, Albert, Mush, and Romeo were crowded around the two boys.
"Olive, sweet Olive." Race cooed. Elmer punched him lightly in the shoulder. "Will ya please tell us who's betta lookin' out if the two of us?"
I glanced back and forth between them, noting that Elmer was very noticeably cute. And that Race was more subtly cute. Like, if you looked closely, he had the bluest eyes, freckles, curly hair, and a straight jawline. After I'd decided, I continued to look back and forth between them. They both looked like they were super impatient, but not on the surface.
"I's thinkin'..." I said slowly, still glancing at the two of them. "Elmer."
"Yes!" The black haired boy highfived Romeo with both hands. Then, out of excitement, he went back and kissed me on the cheek. I felt my face flush and heard the boys 'ooo'ing.
"Now, Olive, you's just won yourself a Newsie." Race nudged me pointing at Elmer, who was gathering coins from the group of boys. They were probably betting.
"Ah, get stuffed, Race." I grinned.