Bell Boy Strike

The Morning Bell never rang. I woke up before it was supposed to, but it stayed silent. Neither did the Circulation Bell. For a while, it was just me and Crutchie awake.

"I's don't understand." The boy shook his head. "The Bells should've rung by now."

"Maybe the Bell Boys slept in?" I tried, lifting Honeybelle from his shoulder and onto mine. She rubbed her face against my ear.

"Racer!" I heard Jack yell. "Henry, Albert, Elmer! Wake up!"

"Jack, the Bells ain't rung this mornin'." I approached him quickly.

"I know dat." He walked past me. Boys started leaving their rooms and out the door.

"Did da Mornin' Bell ring?" Elmer asked me, rubbing his eyes as we walked outside.

"No." I shook my head. The headline was already up.

Bell Boys Go On Strike: Trolley and Newsie Inspiration.

"Why would they go on strike?" Albert threw his hands up into the air.

"They's got the easiest job!" Smalls shouted.

"Papes for tha Newsies, line it up!" Weasel called. The gate was already open. We reluctantly went over to buy papes, then to our selling spots.

"Quiet mornin', we'd got anotha strike on our hands!" I yelled.

"Bell Boys go on strike!" Elmer shouted.

People didn't seem very shocked, so they didn't really care to buy. I looked at Elmer, and he shrugged.

"Single mother held at gunpoint in the Bronx!" He hollered. That one him quite a few people.

"Lady Liberty becomes home to a pack of rabid cats!" I called out. By around 3:00, I had only sold half my papes.

"Today ain't a good day for sellin'." He sighed.

"Yeah." I nodded sadly. A group of teens caught Elmer's eye, causing him to go advertise to them.

"What's the news?" I turned and saw a tall, brown haired man looming over me.

"Bell Boys is on strike." I told him. He's kind of intimating.

"Gimme a pape." He tried to snatch a paper from me, but I whipped the papers away.

"Ya gotta pay, sir." I told him through gritted teeth.

"I ain't payin' for anythin'." The man snarled.

"If ya want a pape, ya gotta pay for it." I backed up.

"I'm friends with Joe Pulitzer." He threatened. "If he found out that you–"

"Are following his rules?" I stuffed my papers in my bag. "Yeah, I's sure he's gonna be livid."

"W–" He started, but then reached into his pocket and pulled out a dime, handing it to me. I reached into my bag to pull out a paper, then tried to take the coin, but he grabbed my wrist. "Goils should not be doin' boys jobs."

"And grown men shouldn't be tormentin' goils." I ripped my arm back and stomped hard on his foot, causing him to cry out in pain. I took this opportunity to run over to a different group to sell.

At around 5:30, we finished selling.

"Hopefully tomorrow's gonna be betta." I muttered as we walked back to the house. Elmer nodded. I nodded back. We walked most of the way in silence, until someone stopped us.

"James!" A familiar man shouted. "Look what we's got here!"

I looked up to see the man from days ago. Elmer put his arm in front of me an gently pushed me back.

"You's the same kid who soaked us." James stood next to Charlie.

"How's it feel dat ya got soaked by a sixteen year old?" Elmer crossed his arms, probably to show off his muscles (which he was flexing).

"Nah, we's about to show you." Charlie cracked his knuckles and moved closer to Elmer. I was about to go up and shove the man back, but Elmer grabbed my hand and moved me behind him. He was still holding onto my hand, probably to keep me there. The sun hadn't set yet. I looked around to see if there were any Newsies, and there was. Jack was walking with Katherine. We made eye contact, and they both ran over.

"What's goin' on?" Jack asked, eyeing the men.

"Just our turn for revenge." James growled.

"Well it ain't gonna be today." Jack pull Elmer and me behind him. Elmer let go of my hand. "It don't matta if they soaked ya before, ya don't fight kids."

"What do you know?" Charlie snarled.

"I know that him an' I could destroy ya both." Jack said, motioning to Elmer.

"This ain't over." Charlie pointed at us before shuffling away with James.

"Thanks, Jack." I sighed.

"What're ya guys doin', gettin' inta fights?" He turned.

"We was just goin' back to tha Lodging House." Elmer objected.

"We'll be more careful next time." Jack told us, then linked arms with Katherine and walked away.

"Well, we's should be goin'." I smiled.

"Good idea." Elmer agreed.