I Won't Ask Again

~Olive's POV~

"Hey, Olive, can I's talk to ya?" Elmer asked once we were all sat down.

"Sure." I stood up and we stepped out of the hospital, leaving Percy behind with Harriet. Elmer and I ended up in an alley. "What's up?"

"So, I'd was talkin' ta Harriet, he she was sayin'..." He trailed off.

"What'd she say?" I asked. The boy hesitated. He then put both hands on my cheeks and pressed his lips into my own. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back. I peeked my eyes open to see his closed. His face was super red. Elmer pulled away, rubbing his neck nervously.

"I's so sorry." He apologized quickly. "Harriet told me ta kiss ya and see what happens."

"B as in Bailey?" I asked, smiling. The boy nodded, then ran back into the hospital.

~Elmer's POV~

I couldn't take it. It felt like it was horribly forbidden. She was probably mortified. Why did I listen to Harriet? I've only known her for a few days, and I go ahead and trust her with something this big? I'm such an idiot.

It was surprising, however, that she kissed back. She was surprised at first. I got too invested. I had no right to kiss her. I'm her friend. I really hope everything stays the same.

I went back into Harriet's room just to bid her and Percy farewell. Then I went outside through a different door.

~Olive's POV~

"Where'd Elmer go?" I panted when I reached Harriet's room.

"He left." Percy told me, oblivious to what had just happened.

"I don't think I's run inta him." I said quickly. I had run after him.

"Must've gone though anotha door." Harriet stated sympathetically.

"Okay, uh, Harriet I's got ta go." I have her a quick hug. "Bye!"

"Bye." She called as I ran out the door and to the secretary's desk. Jess looked up at me.

"How can I help you?" She asked sweetly.

"Did ya see a black haired Newsie -about my age- leave?" I asked quickly.

"I did." She nodded. "He went that way." She pointed to the left of the Hospital, opposite way of the Lodging House.

"Thank you!" I ran out and in the direction Jess told me. It was towards the park. The sun was starting to set. Once I got to the park, I could see him.

"Elmer!" I called.

~Elmer's POV~

After I left the hospital, I decided to go to the park. I climbed up into a tree so nobody would see me.

"Elmer!" Olive's voice echoed through the park. My face drained of color at the thought of her finding me.

What's she going to do? She's probably gonna move out of my room. Or better yet, have Jack send me to Brooklyn. That's a good idea, going to Brooklyn.

"Elmer!" She called again. Terror clasping my chest, I climbed higher despite my fear of heights. Once I got to a decent place, I sat down on a branch. I realized that I was holding my breath. But then there was another voice.

"They's is makin' goils sell the papes now?" A gruff voice said. The hair on the back of my neck stood up.

"Goils should be stayin' home and waitin' for their husbands." Another man said.

"You got a husband, goil?" The first man asked menacingly.

"None of you're business." It was Olive. I peeked through the leaves to see three men surrounding her.

"I's thinkin' it is my business if my future wife is taken." The youngest of the men growled.

Not by you. I thought to myself. Or me. I can pretend to be her boyfriend, then get those guys away from her.

Gulping, I inched down the tree quickly. As soon as I jumped down, I called.

"Olive!" The three men looked around nervously. I jogged over to Olive. "Where'd ya go?"

"What?" Her blue eyes widened. I put my arm around her shoulders.

"This your goil?" One of the men asked.

"I's ain't gonna phrase it like that." I told him, making my voice deeper. "But you's should go."

"And why would we's do that?" The younger one asked, crossing his arms.

"Just givin' ya some advice." I lightly pushed Olive behind me.

"Yeah, and how old is you?" Another asked.

Should I give them my actual age? What are they gonna do?

"Twenty." I lied.

"You sure is small for twenty." One said. Olive stifled laughter behind me.

"Now, if you's would excuse us, we is going." I linked arms with the girl and tried to leave.

"We didn't excuse you." The oldest looking one stepped in our path.

"Whaddya want?" I asked impatiently.

"The goil." He growled.

"You's kiddin' yourself!" I let out a guffaw of laugher. Olive tensed up beside me.

"Give her ova." He held out his hand like I was going to give him a coin.

"No." I told him firmly, then leaned over to whisper something to Olive. "I think you's gotta help me fight them."

"Okay." She breathed.

"I ain't gonna ask again." He hissed threateningly.

"Neither am I." I replied in the same tone. The man reared back, preparing to land a blow on me. When he struck, I deflected it and hit his nose. Blood dribbled out of it. The other two joined the fight, and so did Olive. I struck another punch on the older one, and another on the younger. Olive was fighting the other one. I hit the younger man hard and he fell. I then kicked the older in the stomach, causing him to double over as well. I looked over at Olive, and she had given the man a bloody nose and bruises all over his face. She landed a kick to his knee, and he collapsed. We both then ran from the men. Once we knew we were back into safety, we stopped.

"What were ya doin'?" I panted.

"I's wanted to talk to you." Olive replied.

"Ya could've gotten hurt!" I told her, voice small.

"Well I didn't." She retorted.

"Please be careful." I pleaded. I couldn't bring myself to talk about the thing that was bothering me.

"Okay." She nodded.

We walked back to the Lodging House in silence. Our arms weren't linked.