You found a Goil.

My gaze shot down to Elmer, who had both his feet on their tips, standing on a branch. His hands were holding on to a branch that was beginning to break at the base.

"Don't move." I breathed, edging my way down further to give him a hand. When I was right beside him on a branch almost underneath the one he was holding on to, I whispered: "Let go slowly."

Elmer removed one hand at a time, and soon he was braced against the base of the tree.

Crack.

The branch zipped by, very close to hitting me. I became off balance, and my foot slipped. My eyes slammed shut. Just before I fell, I felt an arm close around me. I slowly reopened my eyes to see Elmer holding onto the branch close above my head. His eyes were closed tightly and his eyebrows were furrowed.

"Thanks." I smiled. His chocolate eyes opened, and fear was shimmering in them.

"No problem." He muttered, trying to get himself into a more comfortable position. His weight lifted off of me.

"Maybe we's should both be a little more careful." I grinned. Elmer tried to grin, but I think he was still scared. Eventually, we were both on the ground.

"Well I's guess I is like a little kid." Elmer sighed, sitting down at the base of the sycamore tree. I sat next to him, knees to my chest.

"Who's tellin' ya that?" I asked.

"Albert, Race, Finch, Jack, Mush, Romeo, Buttons..." He hung his head sorrowfully.

"Didn't ya just make sure I didn't fall out of this tree?" I picked up a piece of bark.

"Ya did da same thing." He smoothed out his hair.

"But dat don't make ya a little kid." I pointed out. "You's only fifteen."

His head turned quickly to face me. "I's neva told ya I's fifteen."

"Uh- well-" I felt my cheeks turning pink. "J- Jack told me."

"When?" Elmer pressed, a smirk slowly spreading across his face.

"When we's gone up to da roof when I's first gotten here." I looked away.

"So you's asked about me?" He nudged me. I looked back at him, noticing that his eyes were twinkling. All the fear was gone.

I didn't answer, just grinned back at him and my gaze scanned across the park.

"I'll give ya a break." Elmer looked around. "I am very stunning."

I let out a guffaw of laughter, before saying: "I think we's should head back."

"Yeah." The black haired boy stood up and offered me his hand. I took it and he pulled me up. I noticed that the streets were a lot less empty than last night. Elmer noticed too, and moved a little bit in front of me.

"You's don't gotta do that." I objected.

"I's said I's is gonna protect ya, didn't I?" He glanced back at me.

"I's didn't think you was serious!" I crossed my arms, a small smile on my face.

"I's promised Miss Medda I would." Elmer rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"So thats what you's was talkin' about!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah." He chuckled. "Just let me's do this one thing, okay?"

"Okay." I gave in, sighing. Elmer backed up a bit, putting an arm around my shoulder protectively. Then we walked together, me being shielded from the crowd by Elmer.

"Ay, James!" I heard a man shout. "I found somethin' fun!"

"Charlie, this betta be good." Another man grumbled, shuffling closer. I saw Elmer glance over , then we began to walk quicker.

"What's goin' on?" I breathed.

"They's comin' ova here." The boy hissed back, tightening his grip around me.

"Ay!" The first man yelled. "News boys!" Elmer stiffened.

"What are ya, deaf?" The other tossed something, which whizzed past me ear.A pebble clattered to the ground.

"Ignore them." The black haired boy muttered, but he could be trying to calm himself down.

"I'm talkin' to you!" One of them pulled Elmer's shoulder violently, which ended up having the boy's arm ripped from my shoulder. We both whipped around, Elmer standing slightly in front of me. He was making himself look bigger. The men were standing right in front of us.

"Looks like we've got us a couple Newsies." The man closer to Elmer's front growled. He had scrappy blond hair and dark green eyes. The one closer to his side was dark with brown eyes, and was eyes me suspiciously.

"We ain't here for trouble, mista." Elmer said, making his voice gravelly. The dark man stepped a bit closer to me. Before Elmer or I could react, the man snatched the cap off my head. My braid fell down and over my shoulders.

"Charlie, you found a goil." He crossed his arms, hat in his hand.

"Leave her alone." Elmer moved directly in front of me, voice trembling a little.

"Nah, I wanna have a look at this one." Charlie attempted to shove past Elmer, but the boy punched him, but that only seemed to piss him off.

"You little-" The man snarled, and threw a blow at the boy. He ducked and struck another to his stomach. While they were fighting the man who had taken the hat reached his hand out to grab at me. Despite jumping back in shock, he got hold of my braid.

"Hey!" I shouted, kicking at him.

"I got 'er, Charlie!" He said triumphantly. Charlie turned, and when he did, Elmer delivered a fist to his face. He fell over, spitting out blood. For extra measure, Elmer stepped on the soft part of his belly to get over to me. When he did, I had already kicked several bruises onto the legs of the man who held my braid. James, I assumed.

"Let go." Elmer glowered at him threateningly.

"Or what?" James snickered. While they were arguing, I managed to get enough distance between me and the man. I jumped up and kicked the man in the stomach. He grunted and toppled over onto the ground, letting go of my braid. Elmer knelt down to his level.

"Don't touch her again." He hissed, barely audible. James gulped and nodded. Before standing back up, the boy took his hat back and passed it to me. Then, standing up, we walked the rest of the way back in silence. His chocolate eyes were constantly sweeping the streets. His jaw was set, even though it probably hurt his bruise to keep it like that. When we got back into Newsie Square, he finally spoke.

"You okay?" He asked, looking at me worriedly.

"I'm fine!" I nodded vigorously. "Is you? I mean, ya fought off that guy and--"

"Didn't hit me once!" Elmer grinned smugly. Then the smile dropped. "But that guy did pull ya by your hair, didn't dat hurt?"

I nodded again. "But only a little in da moment."
"I's sorry." He hung his head.
"For what?" I asked, bewildered.
"I's couldn't get day guy offa you." He told me.
"And I'd got ta do that myself." I nudged him.
"But ya wouldn't have needed to." Elmer pointed out.
"And ya didn't need ta protect me at all." I looked back at him. "Ya don't have to apologise for not doing"?' everything, I'd grateful for whateva ya do for me."
The black haired boy looked at me.
"Thanks." He said quietly.
"Don't thank me." I responded. "Thank you."
We walked to the Lodging House in silence.