Chapter 2

The needle left her arm, but pain replaced it. It slowly ran up her arm into her chest and heart. It was entering her veins, her heart racing, as she watched the veins on her arms begin to glow a bright blue. It was painful, and Katherine's eyes filled with tears.

-What's happening?

She faintly whispered, not having the strength to say more. Soon, it felt as though the liquid was burning every bit of flesh inside her body, every organ, each vein. The woman didn't help her, neither did Mr. Wilson. The room filled with her screams of agony and pain. Soon she couldn't bare it anymore and fainted, her entire body glowing from the strange injection.

Katherine opened her eyes. Everything was blurry, and her heart felt like it was burning. She realized she was lying on a very uncomfortable bed, grey sheets covering her body. 

-Kath?

She recognized that voice. It was Jack. She sat up only to see Jack and Branton sitting on some chairs in the small white room. 

-Jack? Branton? You're OK.

-Are you?

Branton asked her, worried.

-I-I don't know.

-You'll be fine. We all will.

She looked at her arms, seeing the veins still quite clearly. Jack and Branton's bodies were the same. What had they done to them? She stood up, trying to regain her strength.

-Kath, sit down. You're weak. 

Jack told her, taking another chair from the corner of the room. 

-How long was I out?

-Don't know, but pretty long.

Branton immediately answered.

-We also fainted. Don't worry.

He quickly added after seeing the embarrassed expression on her face. After a few minutes, the door opened and a man entered the room, carrying a body, Stella's body. She was glowing brightly, meaning she had just been injected. They were all in fear, and didn't know what to do. How could they help her? There was no water in the room, even though they were practically dehydrating. Soon, nine year old Akilah also joined them, unconscious. It felt like hours until the door opened again, for the last time. Mr. Wilson came in, no unconscious body in sight. 

-I must congratulate the five of you. It was a strong vaccination and we are truly very proud of you all. I believe you are very hungry, so why don't you follow me into the kitchen. We have something ready for you. 

Without hesitation, the kids followed him through hallways into a gigantic kitchen.

Mr. Wilson walked out of the warehouse through the back door. There were many people with the white cloaks, standing in front of a graveyard. Twenty-five new graves had been dug, where the other children were laid to rest.

-We will create tombstones for each, I presume. 

Said the woman from the vaccination.

-Yes, Miss Accola. We need to remember their sacrifice.

-They never knew what was happening to them. Poor children.

-Now, now, Judith. We're only doing our job. 

-Right. 

She sniffed, fighting back her tears of sympathy. 

-At least the operation is finally in motion.

Mr. Wilson finally returned to the kitchen, not knowing what to tell the kids waiting for an explanation. The children looked at him in suspense.

-What happened to the others?

Akilah asked, finally asking the question the others were too scared to ask. Katherine's instincts were telling her that she wouldn't like what they were about to hear.

-About the others, well.

There was a pause, which none of them liked.

-They couldn't handle the effects of the vaccine. Since their bodies were too weak, it began to kill them. So, naturally, they...they died. 

Their hearts sank. Mr. Wilson didn't know what to do.

-I am so very sorry. That was never suppose to happen.

He left the room, not being able to bear the pain he had just caused the children. It didn't take long for him to hear sobs from the hallway. The kids held on to each other, comforting themselves over the loss of their only family. Not long after that, Miss Accola led each of the children into quite large bedrooms, with a comfortable bed, a desk, a chair, a large wardrobe with new clothing and their own bathroom. She even assured them that they could decorate the room however they would like, but it didn't appeal to the kids, at least not now. There were tired. Tired of crying. Tired of pain.