Chapter 31

Akilah's POV-

These damn handcuffs. I see that Gregory doesn't have them, Sarah, Matthew, Adam, or Harry have them. Not even President Raquelle. I can barely concentrate on anything right now. I know that Jack confessed his love for Kath (finally) and Kath is angry at Stella for making her believe...umm...who knows what. I feel clueless. I hate feeling clueless. These damn handcuffs! I have to do something. There has to be a way out of them.

-Gregory?

-Akilah. Please tell me.

He's desperate. He sounds hopeful, loving even.

-Do you have any idea how to get out of these cuffs?

-I'm so sorry, Akilah, but I don't. I don't even know what's going on anymore.

-I understand how you feel. Tell me something?

It may be like I'm asking for everyone, but really I'm being selfish. I want to at least know everything about it before I die.

-What is Operation W.A.R.? Why did you do that to us? What are we to you?

Through the speakers I hear his breathing. He knows, of course he does. 

-Yes, please. Gregory we need to know.

Stella stopped crying, but her voice is still strained. She's as curious as I am at the moment. 

-Alright. You deserve to know.

-Don't hold anything back, Gregory. 

Jack, even with the power of the cuffs holding him down, is intimidating.

-Alright. I started when we heard of the first Romanite threat. Aglaria has something they want. We don't know what it is. Maybe recourses, technological advancement, science, or even power, but they want it. We couldn't risk another World War, so we decided to start a project. So, ten years ago, Operation W.A.R. was created. A serum was developed and tested. We thought it would work, but clearly 25 youngsters had to be sacrificed. I mean, it worked on him no problem.

-Him? What are you talking about?

Without seeing his face, I can feel the regret coming from his silence. I find the strength to stand up and walk to the window. The rest of us are clearly listening, even Adam and Harry.

-Well, the first person to be injected with the serum was a volunteer. A son of one of the scientist here in the Lab volunteered at age twelve. He survived and we were sure it worked. He was sent to the army when he was old enough. 

-What's his name?

Stella sounds like her entire world was turned upside down. So has mine.

-Kenny Johnson. We didn't know that not everyone was strong enough to resist the serum. I'm still so very sorry about their deaths. I wish I could take it all back, but it's done. It was first planned that we just try to make our soldiers stronger than they already were. When Branton accidentally burned everything in the Uthington Science Facility, we decided to forget about the Operation and just raise you. Train you nonetheless, but more about controlling your abilities instead of turning you into soldiers. I'm sorry I never got to tell you.

He's crying. I'm crying. Stella's crying again. Kath doesn't have the strength to cry anymore. I'm sure if Jack and Branton let themselves they would cry too. He wanted to raise us like normal kids. I don't believe it. We were wrong, and now Judith has the upper hand all because we didn't listen.

-I'm so sorry, Gregory. We should have listened to you.

Stella, always the first to apologize. If we could all say we were sorry right now, we would. But we can barely find the strength to do anything. 

-I should be sorry for keeping that information from you. You should also know that the bracelets were there to help you feel like normal kids when you went to school. 

-Thank you.

Jack, though sentimental, was never good with words. I'm surprised he even said anything at all. The bracelets, I remember them making me feel like I was a little weaker. It was never much, just a little bit. I was always very tired at the end of the day. I remember getting myself out of them once, but I didn't want to get in trouble so I put them back on.

-Do you remember when we caught Jack checking himself out in the mirror?

Branton blurts out, probably trying to lighten the mood. It helped.

-B, you suck. That's what you decide to remember?

-I remember you were more embarrassed that Kath was there than the rest of us.

Chuckles were heard across the speakers from everyone. 

-I actually really enjoyed the view of him shirtless.

Kath croaks, earning another few chuckles. 

-Ew, that's disgusting.

Adam says (I think that's his name), making us all laugh a little harder. Ow, that hurts. 

-Now, now, Adam. It's their last moments. 

-Sorry mom. Sorry for running away too.

-Oh, my dear boy.  I love you, I hope you know that.

-I, I do, mom.

Aww, how sweet. Mother and son saying their "I Love You's". If only I could do something to help them out. I mean, it is President Raquelle Fountaine and her son. Then it clicks me. They are just like the bracelets. I got myself out of them once, I can do it again. What did I do? How did I do it? They're radioactive, which means these actually kill us, so I'm gonna have to hurry if I want to get Kath out first. Electric Blasts! Right! I fold my hands into fists and try to generate electricity. It hurts and I gasp when the pain suddenly hits my head.

-Akilah, what's wrong?

Kath asks, even though she's going to die first.

-I'm trying to get myself out of these.

-You can't do that. 

-Yes, I can. Remember the bracelets? Same thing, just more powerful.

-Well, it's not like you got yourself out of them before.

Stella, shut up.

-Yes, I did, now quiet.

It's silent. Finally. I try concentrating again, using all the strength I can muster. I start feeling something in my veins. A small shock. I always felt it when using my abilities, just now it's incredibly weak. I'm stronger than this. I try making it bigger. It's slow, super slow, but it's there. Soon I start to feel the shock connecting with the cuffs. It's working. I feel myself connecting with the cuffs. Yes. Once I can do that, I can make it do whatever I want. It's strong, but I'm stronger now. I'm screaming. I hear my cries in the speakers even. But everyone else is quiet. Then I hear a click and the pain is gone, like magic. I look down at my hands, that are now free from those damn handcuffs.