Chapter 9

-So, I'm guessing they won't be coming back.

Jack says, staring at Katherine after telling them what she heard in Akilah and Branton's minds. 

-In times like these, I don't really like that I can read minds.

-I sure as hell do. 

Stella chimes, a huge smile spread across her face. 

-I finally have something to tease them about.

She is the most excited, but Katherine doesn't like knowing this. Those were private thoughts. Why did she have to meddle in between? She takes a deep breath, looking down at her phone again as she scrolls through Instagram.

-Jack's POV-

She took out her phone again after telling us what she overheard in Branton and Akilah's minds. I can't even focus on that information, not right now anyway. I sure will ask Branton some stuff later, but right now, I'm stuck. My eyes are glued to her beautiful body on the couch, as hers are glued to her phone. What the heck am I doing? I shouldn't be thinking this about her, but I can't help myself. Over the years, I had been fond of her, more than the other girls, but I didn't think my fondness could grow. Especially now. I have to get my mind off of her. I shouldn't do this. I stand up from the couch and walk out the room, ignoring Stella's questions. I walk straight into my room, locking the door behind me. I take a deep breath and throw myself onto the bed. I shouldn't think of her, not in this way anyway.

-Katherine's POV-

-Where are you going?

Stella asks Jack as he walks out the room. She just ignores her completely, quickly closing the door before she can ask any more questions. She doesn't seem offended thought. Jack was always a bit closed off from everyone, so it was nothing new. 

-Wonder what on his mind was.

She says with a cheeky smile and looks at me, and I begin to chuckle once I realize what she wants.

-I didn't read his mind, Stella. I have no idea.

Surprisingly, I really didn't. Even though we have a great fondness for each other, he's hard to read, which always shocks me. Branton and Akilah's thoughts return to my head. "I hope she lets me kiss her tonight", and "He's so damn hot" replay in my head. We should have known that they were attracted to each other, but I guess that's their business. I still have to convince Stella and Jack not to confront them, but I guess without the bracelet on, it won't be too hard. I'm getting tired of just sitting here on my phone, so I say good night to Stella and walk out of the room. Thank goodness I don't have to walk passed Branton's room for me to find out what they would be doing right about now. I sit down on my bed and the entire day replays in my head. I end up thinking about the gang that we encountered on the streets of Uthington. Something about it didn't add up. Usually, a gang like that would just shoot, no matter who it was, if they had weapons or not, but they didn't. They told us to drop out weapons, making it seem like they thought we had some. Then they boys play Superman and The Flash and save them, and we end up going home. Gregory would usually also be much more hospitable when we would come home from something like school or other stuff. Now that they forgot to put their bracelets back on, or did they forget?

-Branton's room-

Akilah's hands are on Branton's chest. She tries to playfully push him away from her, but he still has her pinned to the door. She begins to chuckles, the smile on Branton's face grows.

-We can't do anything crazy, you know that.

He slightly nods.

-I know, that's why we'll keep our clothes on.

Both chuckle at the thought, and she slightly punches him on the shoulder. Without another thought coming to their minds, his lips find their way to hers. She opens her mouth, letting his tongue massage hers. Her arms find their way to Branton's hair, and his hands reach her back, pressing her body against his. 

-Stella's POV-

Why the heck did everyone just leave me here alone? I walk to my own room, as it seems that everyone is doing the same. The idea of Branton and Akilah becoming something other than friends makes me smile like a little child. I always knew they were absolutely perfect for each other, even before we were sent from the orphanage. Oh no. The orphanage. Sarah was incredibly kind to us today, as we assumed she would be. I'm so glad that she is happy with her life and what she is doing, but it was disappointing when she never explained why she let us go with Gregory in the very beginning. I wish she would have told her the truth behind the motives. I guess I'll just have to find out for myself then I guess. I take out my phone to look at the time. 11:30 p.m. That would explain why I'm already a bit tired. I'm not a night owl of the slightest.