XXI. White roses

Warning!!

This chapter contains words that might trigger your suicidal self and make you feel vulnerable.

This is only a work of fiction. So, please, bear with the author.

----------

I should be amazed with what I'm seeing around. A garden full of white roses, golden fences, and a peaceful atmosphere. The sky is still blue while the sun is now preparing to set.

Kasem is indeed a beautiful kingdom but with people grieving around, it lost its beauty.

In the middle of the garden of Kasem lies the coffin of their princess.

I stopped walking from a mile away. I think I can't stand there and stare at her lifeless body. I tried to save her but why does it seems like I just made everything worse?

"She chose to be free," I looked at the one who talked.

She's standing beside me, also looking at Rina's coffin. She's wearing a white dress and a black scarf to cover her face from the sunlight. The old woman of the past.

"She hanged herself in a rope in the ceiling. Is that being free?" I asked as I wiped my tears.

"Minsan, ang pagpulupot ng tali at pagsuko ay isang anyo ng kalayaan. She have been tired of everything. At para matanggal ang nakakasakal na kadena na inilagay sa kanya ng magulong mundo, sinakal niya mismo ang sarili niya hanggang sa mawalan siya ng hininga." I looked at her. She's the guardian of the past. Marami na siguro siyang natunghayang ganitong mga pangyayari.

"Then, why do I have to save her? If... if she will still die, after all?"

"Noon, nang mahulog siya sa bangin kasama si Victoria, hindi niya natunghayan ang pagkamatay ni Marco. She was eager to suvive that time. But now, she willingly died without regrets. She have no reason to live anymore." saad niya dahilan para mahina akong matawa.

"Love is indeed dangerous," sambit ko. I remember, we acted a Romeo and Juliet play when I was in third year highschool. I hate how Juliet killed herself as Romeo died. She can still live but she chose not to.

"You have never been in love, Eerah. You don't know what love can do." saad niya tsaka naglakad palayo.

Pinunasan ko ang mga luha ko at lumapit na doon. I was walking towards them when someone approached me.

"Are you Princess Victoria of Winzellia?" asked a maid. Tumango naman ako bilang pagtugon.

"Gusto raw po kayong makausap ni Nana Delia. Kapag may oras kayo ay pumunta po kayo sa palasyo."

"Umh, sino po si Nana Delia?" I asked. I don't know anyone with that name.

"Siya po ang personal na tagapagsilbi ng namayapang kamahalan." She said. Napatango naman ako.

"Sige, I'll go there after I attend the burial later." saad ko at lumakad na. Why would the personal servant of Rina call me?

I stood at the side away from the crowd when someone spoke beside me.

"Ikaw ang kasama niya noong nakaraang gabi, hindi ba?" I looked at him. Prince Primo of Avales. May bandages pa siya mula sa mga sugat na natamo mula kay Marco.

"Before I lost my consciousness, I saw the two of you fell in the cliff. Gusto kong bumangon at iligtas kayo. Akala ko n'on, mawawala na sa akin si Rina. Pero ngayon, wala na talaga siya." saad niya habang tulalang nakatitig sa kabaong ni Rina.

"She doesn't love you, are you aware of that?" I asked. I was expecting him to get mad but he just smiled sadly.

"I know. When I was arranged with her, I'm so happy. I... I thought she can learn to love me. But it turned out that she loves someone else."

"Then, why you didn't let her go?" I asked.

"Because I love her," he replied. I smiled bitterly.

"Then, you don't really love her." Loving means letting go.

Umalis ako sa kinaroroonan niya at umupo sa isang silya katabi ng pamilya ni Victoria. Ariel is sitting at my right side while Nickolas is standing at my left.

"She never found another reason to live life again unlike what you've said." I saw him looked at me in my peripheral view but I kept on staring at Rina's coffin.

"She must have been tired." He replied.

"Nakasama ko na siya noon sa classroom. But that night is the first time I talked to her. If only I knew that it will be the last."

Maya-maya ay lumapit sa amin ang hari at reyna ng Kasem. Tumayo naman sina Queen Lea at King Andres kaya tumayo rin ako upang magbigay ng galang at pakikiramay.

"I never thought that she'll took her own life for that man." hindi makapaniwalang saad ng reyna sa pagitan ng mga hikbi. Niyakap naman siya ng hari upang damayan.

They look sincere and saddened by what happened. But that can't change the fact that it's their fault why their daughter did that.

"We know that it's also hard for you, Victoria. You tried to save her from a cliff but she just hanged herself after." mapait na saad sa akin ng hari. Tinitigan ko sila. Regrets are indeed in the end.

"You're the one who pushed her to do that." I whispered but enough for them to hear. Gulat naman silang napatolingin sa akin pati na ang mga magulang ni Victoria at si Ethan.

"She was standing at the end of a cliff all her life even though you can't see. I tried to save her but they killed her only hope." sinubukan akong ilayo ni Ethan sa harap nila pero hindi ako nagpatinag.

"Naiahon ko man siya sa bangin nang gabing iyon pero nakatayo pa rin siya sa banging ginawa niyo para sa kanya."

"Victoria," the queen of Winzellia uttered. But that didn't even made me stop.

"Do you know what pushed her to kill herself? It's you, your highnesses."

"Victoria, stop this! Respect the king and the queen." pabulong na saad ng hari ng Winzellia. At hinawakan ang dalawa kong balikat pero hindi pa rin ako nagpatinag. How can I respect them if they can't even respect their daughter?

"She's right, Andres. It's all our fault." the queen of Kasem cried out.

"If only we didn't forced her to marry someone she don't love. If only we didn't forced her to do everything we wants but not what she wants. We have been good rulers to Kasem but not good parents to our daughter." the king uttered.

And that time, the rulers of Kasem realized their mistakes. But it was too late when they did.

White roses for you, Princess Rina.

~ ~ ~

Author's Note:

Hello, stars! At first, I hesitated to share this chapter with you. I don't want anyone to feel saddened huhu.

So, cheer up! I promise to bring justice for Rina's death in the upcoming chapters.