Chapter 49- the walls are closing in

KOOKIE POV:

My body froze, it was like ice was spreading throughout my veins, slowly paralysing each nerve cell with a numbness that my body was complying with even whilst I was screaming inside to break free from it. I felt helpless and powerless, utterly subject to the whims of the owner of that voice. The voice that slithered itself through my brain and planted its poisonous seed inside, venom carving a fiery trail that somehow rid me of any control I had once had over myself.

It was terrifying, but what hurt more, more than the frost I had been drenched into was that I couldn't move to help her, help (Y/N). And it was causing both anger and grief to well up inside me like an unquenchable flame which grew and grew, the heat doing little to thaw the numbness.

My eyes slid to (Y/N), her own face was impassive, hardened, the delicate features of her face now looked like they'd been etched into a marble statue. And for some reason that shocks me and scares me more, it's like she's retreated into herself, put herself behind an impenetrable wall.

I quickly realise with a sinking sense of despair, having been an avid fan of 'Cursed Fate', that (Y/N) has been victim to countless attacks on her mind, has suffered mental manipulation over and over again, and to be put back into such a situation- I hope it doesn't place her back into that state again. I need to help her because I'll be damned if I let someone throw our relationship but more importantly her wellbeing off-kilter for the sake of their twisted, sadistic desires.

I was pleading for anyone who could hear my inner torment to free me, to allow me to protect but I couldn't break free of the straitjacket someone had trapped my mind and self-control in.

(Y/N) POV:

I smoothed my face out into the cold mask that was a second skin to me. I had to protect Kookie, there was no way that he was getting caught up in whatever nightmarish hell my life was plaguing me with just because we were soulmates.

I would do anything to get him out of here scot-free.

After the initial flood of fear had levelled down, I slowly began stripping away at the mental manipulation, slowly rebuilt the strong mental wards I had up since that incident, carefully added layer onto layer of protection and mentally reached out for the link that tethered my soul to Kookie's. I could see it in my mind's eye as a glimmering gold thread, and I reached out for it, pushing a similar level of protection out for Kookie, hoping that what I was intending happened. That the same defence I had building up in my mind transferred across the bond so Kookie's mind would become shielded too.

I felt a cascade of relief wash through me when I noticed Kookie's body suddenly twitch, he was slowly regaining control. He shot me a look but I conveyed through my eyes and the slightest shake of my head to act unaffected. We had to work on this together if we wanted to make it out unscathed.

But it seemed like hope lived a short life.

"Well, well, if it isn't darling (Y/N) and who do we have here, oh my dear Kookie baby." The sickeningly familiar voice of Yuna rang through the narrow road we stand in. Its bare and void of life save for us. I resist the urge to throw a punch at her face and mar the fake, to colour her skin multitudinous array of blues and purples for bringing Kookie into this. For subjecting him to something that still plagued me to this date.

And just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, another figure stepped out of the shadows, out of the alley that stemmed from this road.

And it was a face I knew, I recognised. Choi.

His hair was still raked back, slick and revealing a face that was lined with malicious intent and glittering black eyes. Eyes that lasciviously raked themselves over my still form, I tried to repress the shudder that rippled through me, tried to keep myself at bay.