Chapter 88- our poor baby

(Y/N) POV:

Today's not a good day. I know it because I've been up five times more than usual in the night gone because Dae-Hyeonie just wouldn't fall asleep- he had been restless and fidgety and his wails had gone straight to my heart and made me rush to him. It's not a good day because I've been up constantly since 4am- long having foregone the idea of sleep being possible. 

Everytime he'd wailed I thought he had been hungry, his nappy needed changing, he just wanted some attention, was too restless- but at 3:23 am I had noticed the flush that had appeared on his cheeks and how his face kept scrunching in pain.

At 3:25 am I had concluded that Dae-Hyeonie was ill.

I didn't know the exact details about this illness that had crept up on him, but my ability instantly was alerted by the high temperature, the clamminess to his skin and the way when he wailed- there was a raspy breathless quality to it.

The others had slept through it- only enforced by the shield I'd put up around them as they slept. There was no need for everyone to be up and in a panic but looking at the clock that now said 9am- maybe sharing this with at least one of them would've been better in hindsight.

I pull myself off the bed- dragging my weary legs onto the carpet before going to scoop Dae-Hyeonie to my chest- not crying but his pained eyes still blink imploringly up at me, asking me for comfort and respite that I want to give but am unable to.

If he had been older then I could've used my ability to heal him but after the last chat I had had with Jinnie oppa who was talking about how children didn't respond well with direct ability exposure- a comment made during dinner conversation, it had taken root and I had been too fearful and nervous to risk it with him. 

So I had to do this the standard way. Nurse him back to health. And when Jinnie oppa was awake- have him take a look at our poor, ailing baby.

I press a kiss to Dae-Hyeonie's feverish forehead, heart twisting in pain for him and trudge to the door, blinking back exhaustion. When I throw it open I realise that at some point- the shield must've naturally faded away because there's the sound of commotion and bustling as the others make their way out of rooms in various states of disarray.

I push back the twinge of self-pity when I see how well rested and refreshed the others look, even Yoongi oppa managing to be more alert than he usually is at this time of day.

"Morning kitten!" Seokie's enthusiastic, bright voice chirps bounding over to greet me but comes to an uneasy stop. And I don't for a second doubt that he's picked up on the low energy levels, nor how dismal they must seem.

He approaches and places a hand to both mine and Dae-Hyeonie's foreheads- lips twisting into a sad frown as he takes in how Dae-Hyeonie must be feeling and how tired I am.

"Kit...why didn't you get one of us?" he frowns, voice deep and serious. The sheer demand in his voice has my back straightening both in defence and in response to the tone.

But I can't shake off my resignation. He's right. I should've gotten at least one of them.

"I just wanted you to rest. No point in all of us worrying all night." I say but Hobi oppa's eyes narrow dangerously.

"All night? Kit!" he exclaims indignantly and frustrated before wrapping his arms around me and propelling me forward, waiting for me to freshen up before escorting me down- a solid firm unrelenting wall of displeasure behind me.

The others are quick to crowd around and voice their dissent but that soon fades away when Dae-Hyeonie lets out a soft, pained whimper- disturbed by the noise as well as the fever.