#1 Maybe this year will be different

PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU SEE THIS BOOK WRITTEN ON ANY OTHER PLATFORM, I am only on Wattpad and Inkitt.

I stood across the road staring blankly at the large, brown building directly in front of me. My eyes trailed across the black, bold font that stood proudly against the white marble plaque, the fierce crest beaming in all of it's glory precisely underneath. Chestington High. Home to the jocks, nerds, loners, bitches and unfortunately me.

Every day is the same, I stand opposite this building procrastinating on whether I should go inside. See, to some people High School comes easy and it would probably be a little easier for me if I fitted into one of the cliques mentioned above. However I don't.

I'm just... me.

Clawing air into my lungs like I'm desperately trying to suck out all of the courage floating in the oxygen surrounding me I started to walk towards the school. Maybe this year will be different.

As I entered the courtyard I felt like I was suffocating, subconsciously holding my breath and focusing on my main goal - to get to my locker. In my peripheral vision I eyed the jocks getting out of their cars, they always travel together and make an unmissable entrance by booming rap music which bleeds through their speakers.

I just need to get to my locker.

I heard the whispers from crowds of teenagers around me and could see eyes stalking me from every direction as I made my way through the school grounds. With heat radiating from my cheeks and anxiety that surged through my veins I begin to pace faster. I need to get a head start on the jocks.

I must get to my locker.

My ears burnt, my heart raced and my tummy felt queasy. But I'm close to achieving my simple goal. Pulling on the double doors and stepping inside I felt myself relax ever so slightly. With another strong inhale I make my way down the corridor stopping at my locker. I've done it.

"Olivia girl! How was your summer?" Excited, soft brown eyes focused on mine.

I exhaled and suddenly I realized how hard it has been to breathe these past few minutes. My shoulders became untense and there was a fleeting smile across my lips that didn't quite make it to my eyes. This was Tia my best friend since kindergarten. My only friend since Kindergarten. She was painstakingly beautiful with smoothest dark skin which was always blemish and blush free, sparkling brown eyes and perfectly proportioned features. Her shiny dark hair dropped down by her shoulders in little ringlet curls and her fashion sense was more 'in style' than mine.

In that moment I paused trying to come up with a suitable answer to her light hearted question. What did I do this summer? Nothing. I stayed home, alone for most of it since my parents work away a lot because they can't bare to be around me. I read a few books which helped me escape the silence of an empty home. I didn't go to the beach like everyone else, I didn't go to the carnival, I didn't go to the cinema or hang out at parties. I was too scared in case I ran into anyone from school so I just stayed at home. How was my summer? ... it was lonely.