#44 You took my milkshake.

I watched from the bleachers as Chestington Highs soccer team pounced on one another after winning another game

I watched from the bleachers as Chestington Highs soccer team pounced on one another after winning another game. For athletes who wreak of testosterone they sure do openly show some hardcore affection for each other after they win a game, plastering each other with hugs and kisses. They almost lost today, it was nil-nil until the last five minutes of the game when Liam narrowly scored. It wasn't that both teams played badly, it was that both teams played extremely well.

"Let's hang out, I know a place. Milkshakes on me!" Harris said to Tia & I. 

Harris brought us to the retro diner Liam had taken me to once before, the one I knew the team went after celebrating a win. My chest bubbled up with nerves. After my run in with Ruby I've managed to avoid Liam for the past two days. I know he has noticed as I have received a message from him here and there but I just told him I was busy with school work and couldn't talk or hang out.

Tia and I sat in a big red booth close to the juke box that only seemed to play songs from the 70s.  I was on pins, looking up every time the little bell rang that hung directly above the entrance way. 

 "What's with you?" Tia asked after analyzing my nervousness.

I hadn't told Tia about my skin crawling conversation with Ruby. Or that I had been avoiding Liam ever since. She had no idea in a few minutes the diner would be swarmed with the jocks from our school, leaving me to face the awkward tension.

Before I could answer her the little bell went off one more time. My heart sank, I didn't even need to look up to know it was them. One by one they rolled in through the door, rowdy and still filled with adrenaline. I kept my eyes down at my fingers, which lay across the table twisting into one another nervously. I could feel Tia watching me, obviously realizing something wasn't quite right. 

 "Hey, thought you had too much school work to hang out?" I held my breath.

Looking up to face him I made myself aware that Liam had slid into our booth and was now sitting to the right of me in the seat Harris was previously occupying. My eyes darted to H who stood in the line waiting to be served, he was quite far back thanks to the dinner rush but he seemed oblivious that Liam was sitting at our table. 

A blonde haired waitress approached our table handing him a chocolate milkshake that looked divine. She battered her eyelashes at him and addressed him personally when she handed him the milkshake. He muttered his thanks but didn't touch it. Instead he drummed his fingers on the table waiting for my answer, which was taking longer to come than it should. 

 "So Liam, word on the street is that you're in a bet with those douchebags to bed the biggest loser at this lock in." My wide eyes shot towards Tia, completely horrified she just blurted that out. She sat shooting daggers his way through narrowed eyes and pursed lips. Challenging him. She didn't even acknowledge my reaction, she just focused on his. 

 "I mean, sure. That is the bet, yes." with a shrug he informed us so casually, like it was no big deal. 

He kept eye contact with Tia, in a cold, emotionless staring contest. My heart sank and I sheepishly raised my eyes to view his face, holding back a whole ocean behind them. He just admitted it.