#36 Could I grab a bite of that?

The sun blazed down on the pitch as I sat in the bleachers eating a hot dog smothered in ketchup and mustard

The sun blazed down on the pitch as I sat in the bleachers eating a hot dog smothered in ketchup and mustard. Tia and Harris sat either side of me on the edge of their seats chanting in support of Chestington Highs soccer team. It was unbelievably hot, I felt sorry for the team running through this burning heatwave. The whistle blew for half time and it startled me, causing red and yellow splodges to drip down onto my black camisole. 

"ugh, I'm such a -" 

"hey, could I grab a bite of that?" 

With puffed up cheeks filled with mutilated sausage meat and bread I looked up to find myself face to face with Liam, all eyes on us from both the bleachers and the pitch. He didn't wait for my answer before he took a bite from the bottom of my hot dog. Leaving my jaw dropped to the floor. He shot a quick warning glance towards Harris and returned to his pitch.

I shrunk down in my seat, not wanting to be the center of attention anymore but people would not stop staring and whispering. I could feel the fire igniting in my face, knowing my cheeks were displaying an uncomfortable shade of burning hot red.

"What the hell was that?" Tia turned to me as soon she found her words.

"I have no idea." 

Because I didn't, it was the truth. Liam spent the majority of his time not speaking to me or avoiding me. When we did speak it was like walking on egg shells because you never knew what was going to dip his mood. But then sometimes he kissed me, or showed up at my doorstep or took a bite out of my hot dog in front of the whole school. It was complicated.

"Don't think the cheerleaders are your biggest fans" H said jokingly. 

They were all shooting me death glares as they performed our school chant and I just rolled my eyes at the newest mess Liam has caused for me. Game time started again and the opposing team had control of the ball, they passed it from player to player until one of them took a shot at the goal. Zak intercepted the ball and blocked the ball from going in to the net.

This team was rubbish! They were losing 4-0 in the first half, that was the closest they had come to scoring but Zak was an impeccable goal keeper. Liam had control of the ball. He dribbled it across the entire pitch unscathed and then his foot collided with it for a final time. Score! 

Jordan had the ball, passed it to Ben, he passed it to Tyler who passed it back to Jordan. Another score. The bleachers were going wild, so pumped with energy and excitement. The enemy team were a laughing stock, I honestly feel like they gave up by the time the final whistle blew.

"You guys wanna get ice cream? It's SO hot."  I offered. 

"Sure" they said in unison. 

I spotted Liam still lingering on the pitch.

"I'll be right back." I told Tia and Harris.

Liam was drenched head to toe in sweat, his whole uniform was two to three shades darker than the vibrant red it usually is. Chestnut strands clumped together with wetness. His eyes observed me as I walked across the grass, he took a big swig from his water bottle without breaking eye contact.