#42 You're gonna unman me.

Pulling on my Hunter wellies I made my way across the grass to investigate with a torch placed in my mouth climbing up the wooden planks determined to reach the top

Pulling on my Hunter wellies I made my way across the grass to investigate with a torch placed in my mouth climbing up the wooden planks determined to reach the top. Two watery, lost eyes stared back at me with emptiness as I peered in through the doorway.

"You can't be here Liv ... not again ... not when I'm like this." He spoke through repressed sobs, in a raspy, broken voice. It pulled on my heart strings.

"You're telling me to leave my own tree house." I desperately tried to lighten the mood but I think it was too far gone.

"Please." His low whisper echoed around the wooden walls.

For the first time in years I climbed inside and situated myself next to him on the wooden platform. He said nothing but kept his head hung low, he let out small sniffs as he tried to rein in his emotions. Being inside the tree house with him brought back a flood of childhood memories and I could now clearly see writing and art work dressing the walls. Absentmindedly my fingers traced over the messy word 'Liam' which was drawn into the cedar with a green crayon. I remember the day we signed our names and vowed to be best friends forever. In that moment I felt a strong desire to get him through this even if I was just some stupid bet.

"Don't shut me out." I whispered into the darkness.

I reached my hands up very slowly and I observed him watching me from the corner of his eye. I pulled him into my embrace, he didn't flinch and I knew it was because he was expecting it. As he melted against me he winced with pain and broke down, warm tears rolling uncontrollably down his cheeks. We sat for an unprecedented amount of time as I stroked through his chestnut strands, comforting him as he silently cried into my chest.

"You could tell someone, they would help." I tried to ease him out of dolefulness but I failed miserably when two panicked, swollen eyes shot up to meet mine.

"No! Liv! You can't tell anybody! Promise me you won't tell anybody!" 

I could feel his whole body tense and his heart race, little light freckles that dusted his nose made him look innocent and child like and I just wanted to protect him.

"Shhh... I promise. I promise" I settled him back down against my chest, the crying had stopped now but we hadn't changed our stance.

"Why do you come here? I mean Jordan has plenty of room. Can't you stay with him?" He shot me a look that told me I had just asked a stupid question.

"I have nowhere else to go and this place is oddly comforting. Jordan doesn't know about my home life. No one does, except you." He winced again as he sat up to face me fully, holding his arm across his ribs. "You can't tell anyone." His broken face was more serious now and his tone implied a warning.

"You're badly hurt?" 

"I'll live" 

"Take your shirt off, let me see." he froze at my request, panic sparking in his eyes.