#27 Because I'm damaged.

Tuesday

Tuesday.

Already counting the days down.

The megaphone pulled me out of a comfortable sleep screeching outside my door 'wake up call, wake up call' it was five AM. Tia hadn't mentioned the early wake up calls much to my annoyance. I was up before the sun was up. We took turns showering under rubbish water pressure and changing in the tiny bathroom then headed down to the outdoor pitch. 

Flood lights illuminated the grass as Tia & I hauled big net bags full to the brim of balls, the team stood in a line as coach had them jogging on the spot. I helped Tia lay water bottles out on the bench, one for each athlete. Coach blew on a ear piercing whistle and told everyone to line up, including us.

"Multigrain bar." he said as he handed a small, yellow wheat biscuit type bar to each person. 

"Where's our breakfast?" I plucked up the courage to ask, feeling starving.

"This is your breakfast" Coach shouted down the megaphone even though I was standing right next to him. He was scary.

Tia & I sat on the wooden bench next to the pitch watching as coach made the team practice their soccer skills individually with a ball, then we would have to collect the balls up when they moved onto suicides, penalty practices or a practice game.

Liam was exceptionally good at his sport, he concentrated really hard on whatever task he was doing, working up a sweat that made his red jersey hug to his toned curves. I watched him move with ease around the pitch, tackling players and performing neat tricks with the ball. My heart sank a little when we were nearing end of the practice and Liam hadn't looked at me once. I figured he was deep into his game and shut the rest of the world out.

The cheerleaders practiced along side the pitch and every now and again I would spot Ruby making faces in Liams direction. Got to hand it to her, she doesn't give up even when brutally rejected time after time.

Coach blew the whistle to signal end of practice, Tia and I started gathering up the balls whilst the lads headed to the shower rooms. Liam stood by the goal holding one of the soccer balls, I saw this as my opportunity to approach him.

"hand me that would you?" 

"This?" Liams voice was deep and I shivered instantly knowing something was up. His face impassive and cold, blue eyes glazed over lost to the ice of his personality. 

I nodded my head, not wanting to speak because I had to try and avoid any forms of communication with him while he was in this mood. Liam threw the ball into the air slightly and then brought his foot up to connect with it, making the ball fly right across the pitch. As far away from me as possible. He then turned around and headed to the showers without saying a single thing.

I stood confused, watching his red back move further and further away from me. 

What did I do?