Chapter 18: Reborn

I like this chapter.  The longest one with 600 words.  What can I say, I was motivated.  I always accept comments and guesses for who my favorite cat is.  Click the star if you like the story, and let's get right into it.

Jayfeather trailed behind the patrol.  Firestar had selected Leafpool, Squirrelflight, Ivypool, Dustpelt, Briarlight and Brambleclaw to help with Lightheart.   Squirrelflight and Leafpool had Lightheart draped over their backs, stepping gently as to not have her fall off.  The trail to the lake was well worn, and the other cats cleared out any obstacles in the way.  The group reached the lake quickly.  Jayfeather wished it had taken longer.

What if this doesn't help? What if I can't save Lightheart? If I can't save Lightheart, how can my Clanmates trust me? Jayfeather shook off the thoughts, choosing to focus instead at the task at hand.  Dustpelt and Briarlight lifted Lightheart, and slowly lowered her into the cold waters of the lake.

The patrol waited in anticipation, for Lightheart to jolt awake.  After waiting until sun-high, the patrol carried Lightheart back to camp, morale low.   A cold wave of despair washed over Jayfeather.  That was the only idea he had.  Now Lightheart would never wake up. Never see her mother again. He squeezed his eyelids shut.  Tomorrow, if I haven't figured out how to possible save her, I'll ask Firestar to proclaim her gone. If I can't save her or wake her up, then she truly is gone.

POV Change:

Lightheart bounded through the green hills of StarClan, relishing the feel of the wind in her fur. She closed her eyes to savor the scent of abundant prey.  In StarClan, no cat went hungry.  Bluestar approached. "Lightheart? Do you want to come look over the lake territories? Spottedleaf and Cinderpelt are already there." Lightheart smiled.  She had befriended the two medicine cats almost as soon as she had arrived in StarClan.  "I'll head over there now, Bluestar."

Lightheart glanced around the silent ThunderClan camp. She missed Boltstrike and Ashpelt.  A spike of nausea forced Lightheart to the ground.  "Spottedleaf? What... What's happening? I feel sick." After a minute, Cinderpelt spoke. "I don't know.  I've never really seen this in StarClan before.  Maybe because you have a paw in each world, you can still get sick?" Yellowfang joined the trio. "Lightheart is being sent back to the world of the living.  Jayfeather has managed to save her.  Bluestar told me it wasn't possible, but here we are.  Goodbye, Lightheart." Yellowfang's voice faded into silence.

Back to Jayfeather:

Jayfeather was dreading the day ahead, not wanting to face Firestar and tell him that Lightheart was dead. The sound of steady breathing shook him out of his daze.  I thought Briarlight was going on the dawn patrol? Obviously not.  "Don't you have a patrol to do?" Jayfeather questioned. A friendly mew answered him. "I would hope not.  I just came back." Jayfeather jumped two tail lengths in the air. "Lightheart? Is that you?" 

"I would hope so." The she-cat gave Jayfeather a wide grin.  "I heard that you saved me.  Thanks." Jayfeather was startled.  The shy apprentice had become confident in herself, and it seemed like she was a bit... happier.  "Well, actually Mothwing told me how.  What happened to you?" Lightheart purred in happiness. "I went to StarClan and lived with a paw in each world.  Cinderpelt and Spottedleaf were super nice, and the helped me get adjusted.  Then, you sent me back home!" The last couple words ended with a squeal. "I suppose we should go tell your parents." With a sigh, Jayfeather led Lightheart into the clearing.