Chapter 26: Training

It's update day! MAJOR PLUG AHEAD: Tomorrow, I will be updating MY BRAND NEW BOOK, ~When The Stars Fall~ Just click on my profile picture in the corner, and click my other book. It only has three views, and one of them is me. Also, sorry but I NEVER like an empty nursery.  It makes me sad.  So there is going to be more kits! (Sorry If You're Sick Of Kits) Also, I really dislike writing training sessions, but I will try my best.

      Sunlight flooded the forest, shining on a group of cats. Dustpelt was in the center, directing the training exercise.  Lionblaze, Ivypool, Sorreltail, Amberpaw, Moonpaw and Brackenfur would be on one patrol, and Squirrelflight, Leafpool, Dustpelt, Mistpaw and Berrynose would be on the other.  The goal was to climb the other patrol's tree before they climbed yours. The two groups gave each other a playful hiss before heading off to their respective trees. 

      Lionblaze took the lead of his patrol. "Okay.  Ivypool? I want you and Moonpaw to go for Berrynose, keep him away from the tree.  Feel free to do the move where you hook his back legs out from underneath him." The white and silver warrior dipped her head in agreement. "Sorreltail and Amberpaw? You should run around the side, three fox lengths from the middle clearing. Then, loop back around and climb their tree. Brackenfur and I will be doing defense." The patrol split, Lionblaze and Brackenfur standing guard. Before long, the confused mews from the other patrol filled the air.

      "Where are they? Mouse-hearts!" A suprised yowl split the talking. Lionblaze smiled. That would be Ivypool taking down Berrynose. Spinning around, Lionblaze brought his paw down on Leafpool's head. "Really? That old trick? Your loss." Lionblaze held Leafpool on the ground with one paw, listening for Sorreltail's triumphant mew.  Within a couple seconds, it sounded through the clearing.  Lionblaze released his hold on Leafpool, and headed back to the clearing. Dustpelt's mew was filled with excitement. "Sorreltail, that was an amazing move. I would never have thought of going from behind the tree." Sorreltail's pelt heated up with embarrassment. "Actually, it was Lionblaze's idea." The brown tabby dipped his head in acknowledgement.

      Ivypool came bounding in, smugness shining in her eyes. "Berrynose didn't suspect a thing. One moment he was standing on his paws, and the next he was belly first on the ground." Berrynose butted in. "Hey! That wasn't fair. You snuck up from behind me!" Dustpelt shrugged. "There were no rules against it. They won.  First pick of the fresh-kill pile for Lionblaze's patrol."

Cherryblossom walked up to Lightheart, her paw steps nearly silent. "Hi, Lightheart!" Lightheart leaped into the air with a startled gasp. "You scared me out of my fur! I didn't hear you." Nervously, Cherryblossom laughed. "Lightheart? I have something to tell you." Lightheart tilted her head in confusion. "You've been a great friend to me, but I want to be more than friends. Lightheart, I love you. Will you be my mate?" Lightheart was frozen in shock, her mind zooming in on the staring faces all around her. The light faded into a warm comforting darkness, lulling her, calling her into it's depths.

Jayfeather sighed. "Did she get over-excited again? What happened this time?" Cherryblossom looked nervous that Jayfeather, and then spoke. "I asked her if she wanted to be my mate." Jayfeather nodded. "Well that would do it.  Can you go have Lionblaze fetch some cold water?" Startled by the medicine cat's answer she nodded and rushed out.

Lightheart sighed. She had passed out again. At least Jayfeather knew what to do this time, so she didn't wind up in StarClan. But at least she could finally answer Cherryblossom. She padded up to her friend, and said a single word that changed everything for her. "Yes."