Chapter 6 - Kiss me...

Two days later I was at school before classes, I was leaning against the truck, Bella had gotten a ride with someone, I didn't know who. So I took the truck. I had my EarPods in and The Beatles playing on my MP3 player.

I looked around the parking lot at everyone, there were random groups I'd never talked to, there were my friends, no doubt talking about prom, then there were the Cullen's, minus Edward, sitting in their car.

I looked at Jasper and accidentally locked eyes with him, his eyes were darker, a dark brown, last week they were gold. He dragged his gaze away and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, seeing Edwards car pull into the parking lot.

I watched as he got out and walked around the front of the car to the passengers door, opening it, then Bella stepped out. My eyes widened as Bella and Edward walked up to the school, then her put his arm around her.

I felt anger sweep over me, since when were they a thing? And why the hell didn't she tell me? I put the hood of my dark grey sweater up and walked away. If I went to class feeling this angry, I'd probably punch someone, Bella and I may be complete opposites but we're still super close. The fact that she didn't tell me about Edward really hurt me.

I left my backpack in the truck and walked over to the woods, taking a deep breath to calm myself as I leaned against a tree, my music still blaring in my ears. I felt a tap on my shoulder and jumped, slipping on the damp grass and almost falling, but someone caught me at the last second, Jasper.

I gasped quietly as he helped me up, "sorry for scaring you" he said, letting go of me, "thanks for catching me" I said, taking out my earphones and turning off my music.

"I wanted to check on you, you stormed off" he said, I crossed my arms, "really? You ignore me for days after an awkward hangout where you tell me you can't have friends, then you ask if I'm okay after I run off into the forest?" I said.

   "You're angry" he said, I huffed, "obviously I'm angry, I thought we were finally making progress with this 'friendship' thing, then you ghost me. Then Bella shows up with Edward, I didn't even know they were an item, she didn't tell me, she tells me everything!" I said angrily.

   My anger melted away suddenly and I felt calm, "what just happened..?" I muttered, I glanced at Jasper and he had a very small smile on his face. "Why are you smiling? And why did I just get really calm after being really angry?" I asked.

   I saw him stiffen a bit, "what?" I asked, he was acting strange again. "Jasper, why do you keep acting weird whenever I'm around you?" He asked.

   "I have to go" he said, turning around, "wait!" I grabbed his hand stop him and I gasped, he stopped and turned to me. I met his gaze with wide eyes, "your hands are freezing" I said.

   "You want to know what's wrong with me? Fine. I'll tell you, come on" he said, grabbing my hand, I followed him as he walked to higher ground, spotting a patch of sunlight.

   He looked at me, "you can't tell anyone" he said as he began to unbutton his shirt, letting go of my hand. "What are you doing? Put your shirt back on" I said, he took it off and stepped into the sunlight, I gasped.

   His skin was sparkling, it was like he was made of diamonds, "what are you?" I asked, staring at him in awe. "What do you think I am? Think of all the strange things I do, surely you can piece it together" he said.

   I thought back to all the weird things he'd done or said, "your eyes, they change colour... you never go out in sunlight... I've never seen you eat or drink anything..." I muttered, trying to figure it out.

   Then it clicked. Everything clicked. His colour-changing eyes, his never eating, his general paleness, and how his skin is always so cold. "You're a vampire..." I said quietly, staring at him in amazement.

   Within a second he was in front of me, "scared yet?" He asked, I swallowed down the bit of fear that came with the instinct to run. I shook my head. "You wouldn't hurt me" I said.

   "Not on purpose" he said, I reached for his hand and he clenched his fists, "don't touch me, it's hard enough being around you every day" he said.

   "Why? What did I do?" I asked, he gritted his teeth, "it's not you, it's me, for the first few years of my life as a vampire I lived off of humans. Now I live off of animals like the others, and it's been... hard..." he said.

   "The others? You mean the Cullen's? That makes so much sense..." I muttered, he chuckled a bit, then put on a straight face. "I like you Maya, and you have no idea how much I want you, every time I see you I feel hungry, it's hard to control" he said.

   "Hungry? For my blood?" I asked, though I knew the answer was yes, "but I don't just crave your blood, I want to kiss you, so badly" he said. I felt my heart flutter "so, do it, I won't stop you" I said.

   "I can't, I'll lose control, I don't want to hurt you" he said, I looked at his hand, which was still in a fist, I touched his hand and he seemed to relax a bit, opening his hand. "Jasper, kiss me" I said.

   "No, you don't really want me, it's just your brain seeing what it thinks it wants" he said, backing away and grabbing his shirt off the ground. "Kiss me" I said as he put his shirt and jacket back on.

   "I'm the worlds most dangerous predator, everything you find attractive in me, it's meant to draw people in. My look, my voice, my smell, it's all to attract prey" he said, I took a step toward him, "Jasper" I whispered.

   He met my gaze, "kiss me" I said again, he closed the distance between us by smashing his lips against mine. I closed my eyes as he kissed me for a few moments, before pulling away and backing away from me.

   That was amazing, I looked at him, he looked like he was in pain, "did I hurt you? I'm so sorry" I apologized, he shook his head. He looked at me and smiled a little bit.

   "That's the first kiss I've had since 1938" he said, looking kind of amused, "is that when you were turned?" I asked. He shook his head, "I was turned in 1863" he said.

   "So I just kissed a 142 year old man" I said jokingly, he laughed, "I guess you did" he said, I laughed quietly. "We should get back to school, we'll probably already have detention, our parents might have been called" he said.

   I smiled and we walked back to school, Jasper was half right, we both had an hours detention, but they didn't call our parents.

***

   I got home after detention and saw Bella outside, washing her car, "where have you been? School ended an hour ago. I waited for 20 minutes" she said, then she saw the look on my face. "What's that look about?" She asked.

   "What look?" I asked, crossing my arms, "the 'I just found out a secret I really want to tell my sister' look" she said.

   "You have the same look..." I said, seeing the look in her eyes, "no I don't..." she said, I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. "Whatever, I gotta do some research" I said, going inside and upstairs, I went into my room and grabbed my laptop, sitting down on my bed.

   I googled 'vampires' and started looking at different articles and websites about what they look, what they eat and drink, and what special skills they have, like strength, agility, and speed, some of it was accurate, but a lot of it seemed more like myths.

   One thing was for certain, Jasper wasn't lying about being a vampire...