Chapter 14 - Making up...

Yesterday's plans were cancelled because of rain, but we still hung out, we went to the diner, I ate a little bit but couldn't finish a full meal, I hadn't been able to eat a full meal in months, I could never finish my food, the most I ever ate was half.

This morning I was sitting in my bedroom, thinking, I had made up with my friends, but not Bella. Bella and I haven't had a civil conversation with each other since the Cullen's left, we blamed each other when it happened. Even though neither of us were to blame, it was an accident.

I sighed quietly, I missed my sister, I missed talking late at night, I missed funny conversations in the truck. I just missed her. I shook my head to clear it and stood up, grabbing some high waisted black jeans, a star wars t-shirt and an oversized red flannel.

I put on the outfit, tucking the t-shirt into the jeans and tying the bottom of the flannel, rolling up the sleeves just a little to look cute. I brushed my hair and decided to put on a little bit of makeup, just enough to make my eyes look brighter.

I put on my combat boots and went downstairs, Charlie was already at work and Bella was sitting at the table. I was going to walk past her without saying anything, like I usually do, but I stopped. "Hi, Bella" I said.

She looked at me "hi..." she said hesitantly, I wasn't sure what to say next, so she spoke, "we should go, we don't want to be late" she said. She stood up and went outside, I sighed quietly and followed her, seeing a motorcycle parked beside the truck.

"Where'd that come from?" I asked, gesturing to the motorcycle "Jacob and I fixed it together, you can have it if you want, the thing nearly killed me" she said. I looked at her in surprise, "you got hurt? Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"I figured you wouldn't care" she said, that stung, "why would I not care? You're my sister, even if we're fighting, you need to tell me when you get hurt" I said. I felt tears threaten to spill but I held them back as best I could.

"Maya, I'm sorry" she said, I hugged her suddenly, "I'm sorry! I don't want to fight anymore, I don't want to find out you got hurt weeks after it happened, I don't want to have short cold interactions with you... I want my sister back..." I cried.

She hugged me tightly, "Maya, you never lost me, I was always your sister" she said, starting to cry as well. I let her go and we both wiped off our faces, "come on, let's go to school" she said, I nodded, "I'm gonna take the motorcycle, it looks badass" I said.

She laughed, "okay, I'll meet you there" she said, I smiled as she got in the truck and drove away, I got on the motorcycle and started it. The first time I rode one was when I was 16, Katie's uncle let me ride his around the parking lot. "Katie..." I muttered. I hadn't called her since I first came to Forks.

I tried to recall what happened, she was talking about Grace and I got angry and closed the laptop, I hadn't called her since and she never called me. "Don't think about it" I muttered to myself, pulling out of the driveway and draining down the road.

The wind whipped through my hair and I took a deep breath as I gradually got faster, testing the limits. It got a little too fast so I slowed down to a speed I could manage, smiling to myself as I veered into the school parking lot, parking next to Bella's truck.

I got off, seeing Bella has already gone inside, I looked at the motorcycle and smiled to myself before running inside, going to class.

***

Bella and I met up outside the cafeteria, going inside together, we walked over to her usual table but she stopped. She looked at our friends, then at me, "let's go then" I said, knowing she wanted to go over there.

We walked over, hearing what Angela was saying "no, okay, it was jet black and huge, on all fours, it was still taller than a person. A bear, maybe?" she suggested.

"Or an alien, you're lucky you didn't get probed" Mike said, Eric laughed and Angela rolled her eyes. "Well, I saw it" she said as Bella and I walked over. "You know, you're not the only one, our dad's been getting reports at the station, like, five hikers have been killed by some bear, but they can't find the bear" she said as we sat down.

Angela turned her head toward Eric and he laughed nervously, "that's the last time you clowns doubt my girlfriend" he said.

Mike turned to Bella as everyone continued their conversations, I tuned them out and let my eyes wander the cafeteria, eventually stopping to stare at the empty Cullen table.

An image appeared in my mind, a memory, of when I locked eyes with Jasper for the first time, how dark his gaze was. I should've known there was something different about him when I first met him, life was so simple before I found out about vampires.

While I was thinking, my hand went to my scarred arm, I was snapped out of my thoughts as Bella nudged me. "You okay?" She asked, I nodded but she still looked concerned, "I'm fine" I whispered. She let it go.

"Do you guys want to go see Face Punch?" She asked everyone, "Face Punch, oh, yeah, Mike, we were supposed to watch that. Remember? The trailers like... pff! Pff! Punch faces!" Eric said.

Everyone nodded, "yay! Movie night with Bella" Jessica said, I could clearly sense her sarcasm and I narrowed my eyes. What's her problem?