Chapter 9 - Dealing with James...

I was in a dark room, filled with mirrors, it was cold and scary, I could heard whispering around me but I didn't know where it was from. Suddenly a painful shriek split the air, there was something familiar about it, then I heard crying, I definitely recognized it.

"Bella!" I yelled, seeing her a few feet away, curled up in a ball against the wall, I ran forward and started shaking her as she screamed and cried, not showing her face, "Bella! It's me! It's okay! Look at me!" I pleaded.

She suddenly spun her head around to face me, her face was horrifying, she had no eyes in her sockets and her tears were black. Her mouth was full of long sharp fangs, and her throat had been slit. "Wake up!" She yelled in a hoarse voice, I screamed in horror.

X~X

I gasped as I woke up, "Maya? What's wrong?" Jasper asked from the front seat, "n-nothing... just a bad dream..." I said as we pulled into a hotel parking lot, the four of us checked in and went up to our room.

I sat down on a chair in the corner of the room and started chewing my nails, I kept thinking about Charlie, the pain and sorrow in his eyes when we left, it hurt me. Suddenly Alice gasped, we all looked at her, she had a vision.

"What is it? What do you see?" Jasper asked, it took her a few seconds to respond "the tracker, he just changed course" she said.

"Where will it take him, Alice?" Jasper asked as Bella and I sat on the couch with her, "mirrors, a room full of mirrors" she said. Jasper grabbed some paper and a black crayon, giving it to Alice, she started drawing what she was seeing.

"Edward said the visions weren't always certain" Bella said, I stared at the paper as Alice drew on it. "Alice sees the course people are on while they're on it, if they change their minds, the vision changes" Jasper explained.

"Okay, so the course that the tracker's on now is gonna lead him to a ballet studio?" Bella asked, they looked at her. "You've been here?" Alice asked. I answered for her.

"We used to take lessons when we were kids, the school we went to had an arch just like that" I explained. Jasper looked at me "was your school here in Phoenix?" He asked.

"Yeah" I said as Bella's phone started ringing, Jasper looked at me and I met his gaze, he took hold of my hand and rubbed my knuckles with his thumb in a comforting manner. I smiled a bit and leaned against him as he put my arm around me, kissing my temple.

"Come on, let's get you some food" he said, standing up, "I'm gonna stay here, you three go without me" Bella said. We nodded and went down to the restaurant, getting in line, Jasper held my hand while we waited in line with Alice.

When we got to the front of the line we ordered our food and went down to wait, Jasper could see I was still scared. "Hey, it'll be alright, we'll catch him" he said, I stared at the table, avoiding his gaze.

"Maya, look at me" he said, I looked at him, staring into his golden eyes, I instantly felt calm. "Thank you" I whispered, knowing he used his powers on me, he smiled a bit, our order number was called and we grabbed the food for Bella and I before going back up to the hotel room.

We opened the door and went inside, only to see that Bella wasn't there, "Bella?" Alice called, "she's gone, what if James has her? I can't lose her" I said fearfully.

"Alice, can you use your powers to find Bella?" He asked, she gasped and I looked at her hopefully, "she's at the dance studio" she said. I grabbed my sweater from the couch, "where do you think you're going?" Jasper grabbed my wrist.

"Where do you think I'm going? I'm going to save my sister!" I said, he shook his head, "no, you're not, it's too dangerous, you'll get hurt, you're staying here" he said.

"I'm not just gonna sit here alone, waiting for you to come back, when you could get hurt, or worse" I said.

"Maya, he'll kill you, I can't let that happen" he said, looking desperate, I sighed before pressing my lips against his, kissing him as I ran my fingers through his hair. He put his hands on my waist and pulled me closer before the kiss ended and I leaned my forehead against his.

"You better come back to me" I whispered, resting my hands on his shoulders, "I promise" he said, I held out my pinky finger, "pinky promise?" I asked. He chuckled a bit, putting his pinky finger up and looping it with mine "pinky promise" he said.

"Don't die" I said as he and Alice left for the dance studio, he winked at me before he left, I sat down on the couch, pulling my knees up to my chest and rocking myself gently. My mind was filled with thoughts of Jasper being hurt, or even killed, I hated the images my mind was creating. There was nothing I could do to help. All I could do was wait.

***

Everyone was at the hospital, Bella had a broken leg, lots of bruises and cuts, and a bite mark on her arm. The Cullen's and I came up with a fake story to tell everyone, right now I was sitting in Bella's hospital room.

She looked so fragile, so small, I hated seeing her like this, she was my twin sister, older than me by 7 minutes, she'd been my best friend my whole life. I felt a tear slide down my cheek, suddenly the door burst open and my mom walked in. "Mom!" I gasped.

I stood up quickly and hugged her tightly, crying even more, "is she alright? How hurt is she?" She asked as I let her go. I sniffled, "a broken leg, lots of cuts and bruises" I said.

"What happened? The doctors haven't told me anything" she said as I wiped my face on my sleeves. "The Cullen's came to bring us back, she went to their hotel but she fell down two flights of stairs, then she smashed through a window" I told the fake story we made up.

"Your dad is in the cafeteria, but I told Phil to stay home" she said, I nodded and left the room, going down to the cafeteria and seeing Charlie sitting at a table with a coffee. "Dad!" I called, he saw me and stood up, I ran to him and hugged him, crying into his shoulder as he hugged me tightly.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't want to leave with Bella! I needed to make sure she was okay!" I cried, he shook his head. "It's okay, you're safe, everything's fine" he said, I continued to cry, not caring that people were looking.

When I finally let go of him, I saw Jasper standing by the door, watching me with a sad expression. "Dad, I'll be right back" I said, walking over to Jasper, he put his hands on my waists and kissed my forehead before hugging me. I buried my face in the crook of his neck, "do you think she'll be okay?" I asked.

"She's strong, you both are" he said, I smiled a bit, "Jasper, please don't ever leave me" I whispered, he smiled, "Maya, you're my life now, I could never leave you" he whispered. My sad tears became tears of joy as I hugged him even tighter.