Chapter 23 - Graduation

(I found this dress online and I'm kind of obsessed with it, it's so gorgeous! So this is the dress she wears in this chapter)

I was sitting next to Bella at the venue for graduation, we were in our robes and caps and we were wearing pretty makeup. Jessica was on the stage, giving her speech as Valedictorian. I listened proudly, she really deserved this.

"When we were 5, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our answers were things like Astronaut, President, or, in my case, a princess" she said, everyone chuckled, she smiled before continuing.

"When we were 10, they asked again. We answered, Rockstar, Cowboy, or, in my case, a gold medalist. But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how about this? Who the hell knows" she said.

I smiled and clapped as everyone cheered, "this isn't the time to make hard-and-fast decisions. This is the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere. Fall in love a lot" she said.

A few people whooped and whistled, she continued, "major in Philosophy, because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind, and change it again, because nothing is permanent. So, make as many mistakes as you can, that way, someday, when they ask what we want to be, we won't have to guess. We'll know" she finished.

The whole audience cheered and clapped as she smiled happily, stepping off the stage, then it was time to get our diplomas. All the graduates got in line on stage, grabbing our diplomas as our names were called individually.

"Bella Swan" the principal called, she walked forward and took her diploma, shaking his hand before walking off stage. "Maya Swan" my name was called and I walked forward nervously, I shook his hand and took my diploma, looking into the audience.

I locked eyes with Jasper and he smiled supportively, I smiled back before walking off stage, sitting down. I did it. I graduated.

***

I had gone home after graduation and changed into a pretty dress before driving to the Cullen's house. Alice threw an awesome party, like she usually does, everyone was having a bunch of fun.

I looked around and saw Bella talking to Jacob, she looked uncomfortable and I knew she needed saving, so I walked over. "Hey Bella, I want to show you something over here" I said, she looked relieved and we started to walk away.

"Wait, your graduation present" Jacob stopped us, he pulled a bracelet out of his pocket, it had a wolf on it. "I made it myself" he said, giving it to Bella, "thanks" she said plainly before walking away.

I went to follow her but Jacob stopped me by grabbing my arm, "what the hell?" He asked angrily, I looked at him, "what do you mean?" I asked innocently. "You know what I mean, we were talking and you dragged her away" he was really angry.

"Technically, I didn't crave her away, she walked away, after I saved her from you" I said, being a smartass. "She was fine, we were talking, it's none of your business anyway" he said, the angrier he got the more he tightened his grip on my arm.

"Let go" I said, glaring at him, "no, you can't just-" he started but I cut him off, "Jacob, let go of my arm or I swear I'll cut off your hand. You don't want to mess with me after everything you've done to Bella, because I will not hesitate to kick your ass" I growled.

He glared at me and let go, I felt him watching me as I stormed away, as soon as I was out of sight of everyone I looked at my arm. It would definitely bruise. I touched it and winced, I took a few deep breaths to calm myself before going back out.

I saw Alice on the stairs, she was staring at nothing and her eyes kept flicking around, she was having a vision. I walked over, standing beside Bella who was already there. "Alice, what do you see?" I asked.

"The decision has been made" she said. Jacob, Embry, and Quil appeared behind us, "what's going on?" Jacob asked.

"You're not going to Seattle?" Bella asked, Alice shook her head, "no, they're coming here" she said grimly. I glanced at Bella, my own fear reflected in her eyes.

Alice gathered everyone and we went upstairs to Carlisle's office, explaining everything to everyone. "They'll be here in four days" Alice said.

"This could turn into a bloodbath" Carlisle said, sitting down, "who's behind it?" Edward asked, we all looked at Alice. "I didn't see anyone I recognized, maybe one" she said.

"I know his face, he's local, Riley Biers, he didn't start this" Edward said, he must've read Alice's mind. "Whoever did is staying out of the action" Alice said.

"They must be playing with the blind spots of your vision" Carlisle said.

"Either way, the army is coming and there aren't enough of us to protect the town" Jasper said grimly, I looked at him fearfully. He smiled at me a bit to reassure me, but I could tell he was worried to. "Hold up, what damn army?" Jacob asked.

"Newborns. Our kind" Carlisle answered, Embry looked worried "what are they after?" He asked. "They were passing around Bella's scent, Maya's too" Alice said, Jasper wrapped his arm around me protectively.

"They're after Bella and Maya? What the hell does this mean?" Jacob asked, Carlisle looked at him. "It means an ugly fight, with lives lost" Carlisle said grimly, Jacob was quiet for a few moments before nodding. "Alright, we're in" he said.

"No, you'll get yourselves killed, no way" Bella said. "I wasn't asking for permission" he said. "Edward?" She looked at him for help. "It means more protection for you" Edward said to her, she stared at him in disbelief.

"Jacob, do you believe Sam would agree to an understanding?" Carlisle asked him. "As long as we get to kill some vampires" he said.

"Jasper?" Carlisle looked at him. "They'll give us the numbers, newborns won't know they even exist, that'll give us an edge" Jasper said.

"We'll need to coordinate" Carlisle said, standing up, "Carlisle, they're gonna get hurt" Bella tried to tell him. "We'll all need some training, fighting Newborns requires knowledge that Jasper has" Carlisle said.

He looked at Jacob, "you're welcome to join us" he said, Jacob nodded, "name the time and place" he said. Bella looked at him, "Jake, you don't know what you're getting yourself into" she said.

"Bella, this is what we do, you should be happy, look at us, working together, you are the one who wanted us to get along, remember?" He said. I glared at him and he glared right back.