Chapter 22 - A new Threat

I had gone to Florida with Bella and Edward, we had seen Renée and talked to her, well, Bella did, I was avoiding her. My mom and I never really connected well, I'm much closer to Charlie than her.

I had gone to school today like usual, helped Jessica with her speech after school, then I went home, sitting down in the living room with Charlie, who was watching baseball. "Hey Dad, who's winning" I asked him as I sat down.

"Nobody, it's a tie" he said, he seemed annoyed, I sighed, "if you're mad because I didn't make it home right after school, don't be. I was helping Jess with her speech" I said.

"I'm not mad, I'm just casual" he said, I rolled my eyes as Bella came in, Charlie stood up and walked over to her, leaning against the doorframe. "You know, Edward could at least respect meal times" he said to her.

I stood up and went upstairs, it was unfair how he treated Bella, I get that he was still mad about when she ran off the Italy, but I went too, why wasn't he mad at me? I sighed and went into my room, then I stiffened, something was off.

I looked around the room, something was definitely different from this morning, I looked at my dresser. I had left a sweater on top of it this morning, now it was gone, Charlie insisted only us doing our own laundry so he couldn't have taken it, who did?

I left my room and saw Edward and Bella go into her room, "guys, something's off" I said, they looked at me. "We need to get to my house" Edward said.

***

It was the next day, the intruder wasn't anyone they knew, the Volturi didn't send him, and they don't think Victoria did, which meant we had no leads. To make matters worse, Bella and I now had to be constantly under protection, when it wasn't one of the Cullen's, it was Jacob. It sucked.

***

It had been a few days, the Cullen's and Sam Uley's pack had reluctantly agreed to a truce while they protected the house. It wasn't an easy alliance, but they were all okay with it if it meant Bella and I were safe.

***

Edward stopped the car on the side of the road, we all got out, Edward, Bella, and me. I walked over to Jacob and he hugged me in greeting. I stood next to him and leaned against his truck, waiting for Bella.

"Doesn't he own a shirt?" Edward asked loudly to provoke Jacob, Bella and Edward looked at each other awkwardly for a few moments, not saying anything. "I'm good here, you should go" she said.

"I'm not gonna be gone long" he said, she shook her head, "don't rush, you need to hunt" she said. He glanced at Jacob before kissing Bella, I rolled my eyes and glared at Edward as Jacob looked away.

Bella and Edward split apart, "maybe rush a little bit" she said before walking over, Jacob gave her a hug, only letting her go when Edward got into his car. Edward sped away in his car and I rolled my eyes.

"So, what do you want to do today? Bike? Hike? Just hang? Your call. But we're going to a party tonight" he said, getting in the car. Bella and I glanced at each other before getting in.

***

   "Are you sure this is okay? I really hate being a party crasher" Bella said Jacob as we all walked toward the campfire. "Technically you're a town meeting crasher, see? The council leaders, Dad, Quil's grandpa, and Sue Clearwater. She took over for Harry when he died" he said.

   "Okay, I should not be here" Bella said, stopping, you're not the only person here, I thought, stuffing my hands in my pocket. "You're okay, I thought... I mean, they thought it would be a good idea for you to hear the histories, both of you" he said, looking at me.