Chapter 20 - The decision...

I screamed as I woke up, the memory of last night had been playing over and over again while I had been sleeping. I sat up quickly and gasped for breath as Charlie ran into the room, "Maya? What's happening? What's wrong?" He asked.

"I-I'm sorry, nothing is wrong, it's just a bad dream" I said, he seemed relieved, "you're fine?" He asked. I nodded as my heart rate slowed to a normal pace, "sorry Dad, you can go back to sleep, I'm not gonna scream anymore" I said. He nodded and left my room, closing the door.

I sighed quietly and pulled my knees up to my chest, resting my elbows on them as I rubbed my eyes with my palms. "Hey" someone said, I gasped and looked by the window, where the voice had come from.

My heart twisted as I saw Jasper, or, maybe I did, maybe it was a hallucination? I'd had dreams like this before.

"Maya-" he started but I stopped him, "stop it, I'm sick of dreaming about you" I said, he looked confused. "What do you mean? It's me" he said, I shook my head, "no it's not, it's a dream, I just have to wake up" I said.

I closed my eyes tightly and covered my ears, I felt the mattress dip beside me under his weight, "Maya, stop it, look at me" he said. I shook my head, "no, I'm not falling for it, I just have to wake up" I said.

He put his hand on my knee and I stiffened, "Maya, please look at me" he whispered, I opened my eyes and met his gaze. "You... you're really here..?" I asked, not knowing if my mind was playing tricks on me.

"I'm here, Maya, I'm back" he said, a bunch of different emotions swirled around inside me, anger, doubt, happiness, relief. I didn't know what to feel or how to react. "Maya?" He looked into my eyes as a tear slid down my flushed cheeks.

I reached out and touched his shoulder, making sure he was real, I gasped and threw myself at him, wrapping my arms around him, desperate to feel him close to me. He hugged me tightly as I buried my face into the crook of his neck, letting myself cry.

"Maya, you're okay, it's okay" he whispered as I continued to cry, "no it's not" I said, pushing him away suddenly. "You left me, you abandoned me, for 8 months all I could think about was you, how I still loved you even after how you hurt me" I cried.

"I'm sorry, I had to leave, I nearly killed you" he said, once again my hand went to my scarred arm, which was no longer covered because I was wearing a tank top. He looked at my hand and moved it, seeing the scars he had given me accidentally for my birthday.

"I never meant to hurt you... I love you..." he whispered, still staring at my scars, "if you still love me... then kiss me..." I whispered. He met my gaze and shook his head "I don't know if I can control myself, I've been away from you for so long" he said.

"And who's fault is that?" I asked harshly, I saw the look of hurt in his eyes before his gaze hardened and he grabbed my arm. I winced at his strong grip, so he loosened it a bit before pulling me towards him, kissing me deeply. Our lips moved in sync as all the memories of all of our kisses were brought back, especially the most important ones.

Our first kiss, the kiss after we admitted we loved each other, and the kiss he gave me on my birthday, the day before he left, the last kiss we ever shared. Now we were together again, I was still upset about him leaving 8 months ago, I'd never truly be over it, but for now we were together again, and that was good enough.

   The kiss ended and he placed his hand on my cheek, looking into my watering eyes, "I'm sorry for leaving... It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do... I'm sorry..." he said.

   "Jasper, I never stopped loving you, I never stopped thinking about you, everything reminded me of you, and because of that... I've changed a lot... I'm not the same person I used to be..." I said.

   "I can love whoever you are, I'll love you forever" he said, wiping a couple tears off my face, the door opened and Bella and Edward appeared in the doorway. "Come on, we're going to Edward's house, we have to make a decision" she said. I nodded.

***

   We arrived at the Cullen's house and now we were standing inside on the stairs, Bella and I were standing next to each other and Edward was standing behind us, everyone else was waiting for us to speak. I decided to let Bella talk first, I wasn't sure what I would say.

   "You all know what I want, and I know how much I'm asking for, the only thing I can think of for it to be fair is to just vote" she said.

   "You don't know what you're talking about" Edward muttered, she shushed him "shut up" she said, I saw everyone smirk a little. She looked at me, "are you okay with everyone voting?" She asked quietly. I nodded. The Cullen's were like a second family to me, I trusted them with my life.

   Bella nodded and looked at Alice, "Alice?" She asked, she smiled "I already consider you two my sisters" she said, hugging us both. "Yes" she said. "Thank you" Bella whispered.

   "I'm sorry" Rosalie said suddenly, we all looked at her, "I'm really sorry to all of you for how I've acted, and I'm really grateful that you two were brave enough to save my brother. But this isn't a life I would've chosen for myself, and I wish that there had been someone to vote no for me. So, no" she said.

   "I vote hell yeah" Emmett said, picking us both up at the same time and spinning us around, "thank you" I said as he put us down. "We can pick a fight with the Volturi some other way" he said, going back to stand by Rosalie.

   "I already consider you two part of our family, yes" Esme said, we looked at Carlisle as he walked over to speak to Edward. "Why are you doing this to me? You know what this means" Edward said.

   "You've chosen not to live without her, which leaves me no choice, I won't lose my son" Carlisle said, which meant the only vote left was Jasper, we all looked at him, but all he could look at was me.

   "Can we talk in private?" He asked me, I nodded hesitantly and we walked upstairs, going into his bedroom. He closed the door and turned to face me, "you have no idea what you're doing" he said quietly.

   "Then tell me" I said, he stared into my eyes for a few moments, "it means constant hunger, never aging, moving every four years so you don't raise any suspicion. You have to control your thirst whenever you're around humans, which is harder than it sounds, especially when you live off of animals" he said.

   "What do you mean 'especially when you live off of animals'?" I asked.

   "Surviving on Animal blood is like surviving on tofu, it's enough to keep your strength up, but you're never fully satisfied, you always crave more, you can never get enough" he explained.

   "I can handle that, I'm stronger than I look" I said, he shook his head "no, I don't want this for you, you deserve a better life" he said. My gaze hardened as I looked at him, "Jasper, if the Volturi find out I'm not a vampire, they'll kill you, all of you, I'm not going to let that happen" I said, storming out of his room.

   I went back downstairs and everyone looked at me expectantly, "is it settled?" Carlisle asked, I nodded. "Bella and I will become vampires, it's just a matter of when" I said.

   "After graduation, it needs to happen as soon as possible, but if we wait until graduation it'll affect Charlie less" she said, I nodded in agreement. The decision had been made...

*end of new moon*

Omg I'm super happy right now! I didn't think my book would get 100 reads, let alone 1k! This is actually the best thing that's happened to me in months!