Chapter 16 - What's wrong with Jacob?

That night ended strangely, but I had other things on my mind, like my haircut, which I had gotten the day after, and the conversation I'd had with Mike in the bathroom. Who was he talking about? Was he talking about Bella? I knew he liked her but I thought it was just a crush.

I sighed and looked out the window, it was raining like crazy, I wonder if Charlie and Harry are having any luck fishing. I doubt it with this weather, I shivered as a breeze blew in through the drafty window, standing up and grabbing a grey sweatshirt from the closet.

I looked at it and my heart twisted, this was Jasper's, he had given it to me after I'd gotten cold during a movie night. We had been curled up on my bed, watching Lord Of The Rings, I had started shivering so he gave this sweater to me, he told me to keep it, that he had plenty more at home.

I wiped away the tears that were falling down my face, I can't think about him anymore, I just can't, I can't open those floodgates. I took in a shaky breath and stuffed the sweater into a box at the top of the closet, it still smelled like him.

I grabbed an oversized white hoodie instead, putting that on over my black tank top and grey track pants. I sat down on my bed and looked around my room, realizing it was filthy, there were dirty clothes and empty chip bags pretty much everywhere.

I wrinkled my nose before going downstairs, sitting on the couch and turning on Tv, I realized I hadn't watched Gilmore Girls in a while so I turned that on, getting comfortable.

About halfway through my third episode, Bella came storming into the house, she was completely soaked and she looked upset. "Bella?" I stood up quickly and she looked at me, "Bella, what happened?" I asked.

"Jacob is acting weird, he cut his hair, and he got a tattoo" she said, my eyes widened, "okay... um... take a shower to warm up... then you need to tell me everything" I said. She nodded and quickly went upstairs, I heard the shower turn on and I took a deep breath, turning off the Tv.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed two mugs, setting them down on the counter before filling the kettle and turning it on. I grabbed two teabags, putting one in each cup along with two spoonfuls of sugar in each. When the kettle was done boiling I poured the water into each cup, stirring it before adding milk and stirring again. Then Bella came down.

We sat down on the couch and I gave her a cup of tea, "start at the beginning" I said, she took a deep breath before she started explaining.

When she was finished, I was shocked, "that's so not like him, what do you think is going on with him?" I asked.

   "I don't know, I'm going to his house tomorrow, to confront him, I have to know what's going on" she said.

   "I'm coming with you, you shouldn't confront him alone, you don't know what he'll do" I said, I didn't think Jacob could ever hurt Bella and I, but he's changed, now I have no idea what he'll do. "Okay, tomorrow" she said.

***

I woke up the next morning and walked over to my closet, grabbing black ripped jeans, a guns and roses t-shirt, and my oversized denim jacket. I put on the outfit before putting on my combat boots, looking in the mirror, I brushed my hair before messing it up again.

"What's the point of brushing it if you're gonna mess it up afterwards?" Bella asked, she was leaning against the doorframe. "I want it to be messy, not tangled" I said, grabbing my phone and keys from my dresser.

"Come on, let's go" she said, I followed her as we went outside, she got into her truck and I got on my motorcycle. I loved my motorcycle. It was fast and I could easily slip through traffic, it also fit my new style and personality. I had changed a lot since Jasper left, I used to be all cutesy and sweet, now I was becoming more rebellious, and kind of rock and roll.

Bella pulled out of the driveway and started driving towards the reserve, I drove behind her on my motorcycle. We soon reached Jacob's house and stopped outside, I got off the bike as she got out of her truck.

We walked over to the door and she knocked on it, Billy opened it, "I need to see him" Bella said.

"He's not in" Billy said, lie, I thought, Bella glanced at me and I shook my head subtly, she looked at Billy again. "I'm sorry, I really need to see him" she said, going inside before he could stop her, "Bella!" He called.

He glared at me and I shrugged innocently, there was some sort of animal cry coming from the tree line so I looked over, seeing Sam and his buddies standing there. Bella stormed out of the house and toward them, I followed her.

"What did you do?" She asked, getting closer to them, "what did you do to him?" She asked, pushing sam. Paul growled and Sam stopped him, "easy" he warned the angry man, "he didn't want this!" Bella said.

"What did we do? What did he do, hm? What'd he tell you?" Paul asked, trying to intimidate her. "Both of you, calm down" Sam said.

"Nothing, he tell me nothing because he's scared of you" she said, they laughed and I clenched my fists. I moved Bella out of the way before standing in front of Paul, he was still laughing so I swung my fist, nailing him in the jaw.

"Too late now" Jared said as Paul started growling and breathing heavily, "girls, get back!" Sam warned. Bella and I slowly started backing away, "Paul, calm down now" Sam ordered, Paul snarled and within two seconds he became a huge wolf. Even on all fours he was still taller than me.

He took a step towards us and Bella and I started running back towards the house, "Maya! Bella!" Jacob called, running towards us. "Run!" Bella yelled, but he kept sprinting towards us, "Jake! Run!" I yelled.

He leaped over us and Bella and I fell to the ground, turning around to watch as Jacob transformed into a huge wolf. Jacob and Paul started snarling at each other before attacked each other, snarling and spitting as they fought. They crashed through a boat and rolled into the trees, still fighting.

I stared in shock at the trees as Sam looked at us, "take the girls back to Emily's place" Sam ordered.

"Guess the Wolf's out of the bag" Embry said, he and Jared walked over to us as Sam ran into the forest. I couldn't stop staring at the forest, Jacob was a werewolf? How? Is there anything normal in the world at all? Is Angela gonna turn out to be a gremlin or something? It wouldn't be any weirder than this... I thought to myself.

"Come on" Embry held out his hand and I took it hesitantly, he helped me up to my feet, "thanks..." I muttered, wiping dirt off my pants, "no problem" he said.