Chapter 25 - The Battle

(I know this chapter is short but you'll understand why when you reach the end)

Edward was staring at nothing, he was listening to the battle through Seths mind, which was connected to Jacob's. "Jacob just got there, he's good" he said, Bella looked relieved, Edward continued to listen.

He started to look worried after a couple minutes, "is someone hurt?" I asked, fear filling me as I pictured Jasper injured. "She's close, I can hear her thoughts" he said, he looked at Seth, "Seth, go" he ordered, Seth hurried away. Bella and I rushed to Edwards side so he could protect us.

"She knew we weren't there but she caught my scent, she knew you'd be with me" he said, worry in his voice. "She found us" Bella muttered, Edward was quiet for a moment, "she's not alone" he said suddenly.

A man emerged from the trees, his eyes were blood red, and his skin pale, he was a vampire. "Riley, listen to me, Victoria's just using you to distract me, she knows I'll kill you" Edward said. Victoria appeared on top of a rock, I gasped quietly, feeling fearful.

"In fact, she'll be glad she doesn't have to deal with you anymore" Edward said, Riley stopped. "Don't listen, Riley. I told you about their mind tricks" Victoria said to him.

"I can read her mind, so I know what she thinks of you" Edward said, Victoria shook her head "he's lying" she said, Riley glanced at her. "She only created you and this army to avenge her true mate, James. That's the only thing she cares about, not you" Edward said.

Riley looked at Victoria, wondering if it was true, "there's only you, you know that" she said, he looked at us. "Think about it, you're from Forks, you know the area, that's the only reason she chose you. She doesn't love you" Edward said.

"Riley, don't let him do this to us, you know I love you" she said, he looked at the ground, trying to figure it out. Then his eyes went dark and he looked at us, "you're dead" he growled, but before he could attack us, Seth leaped out, attacking him first.

I watched in fear as Seth tore his hand of, Riley screamed in pain as Victoria started to run away. "You won't get another chance like this again!" Edward yelled, she stopped, turning around.

"You want her, you want me to feel the pain you felt when I killed James, when I tore him to pieces" Edward said, walking toward her. "When I turned him into ash, when I turned him into nothing" he said. She snapped.

She roared and attacked him, Bella and I ran into the trees so we were relatively safe as Edward and Victoria continued to fight. I heard Seth whine in pain, the next thing I knew, Riley was beside me, he grabbed me.

"Maya!" Bella yelled as Riley sank his teeth into my shoulder, I screamed in pain as Edward ripped him away. Riley's venom ran through my blood as I fell to the ground, screaming in agony.

The fighting continued, but I couldn't watch, I couldn't focus on anything, I put my hand on the bite mark. I winced and pulled my hand away, looking at it and seeing the blood on my palm, tears ran down my face.

The pain... it was... excruciating... agonizing... I could barely breathe as my body convulsed and I screamed... the world around me went blurry... my hearing faded... and all that was left was pain... horrible pain... and burning...

So this is what death feels like...