Chapter 17 - Painful Memories...

Jared rode in the back of the truck, making sure my bike wouldn't fall off, Embry drove and Bella and I sat in the backseat. We pulled to a stop outside of a large house in the middle of the forest, Embry and Jared got out, yipping a couple times to announce their arrival.

   Bella rolled the window down, "I think we should go back and see if Jacob's okay" she said as the two boys walked away from the truck. "I hope Paul sinks some teeth in him, served him right" Jared said.

   "No way, Jacob's a natural, you see him phase on the fly? I've got five says Paul doesn't touch him" Embry argued. He looked back at the truck, "come on in, girls, we won't bite" he said.

   "Speak for yourself" Jared joked as he went inside, I glanced at Bella and we got out, walking over to Embry. "Oh, hey, about Emily, Sam's fiancée, don't stare, it bugs Sam" he said.

   "Why would we stare?" I asked as we went inside, "you guys hungry? Like I have to ask" a woman said as Jared and Embry sat down. She looked up as Bella and I came inside, I stopped myself from gasping, half of her face was completely scarred.

   "Who are they?" She asked, looking at the boys, "the swan sisters, who else?" Jared said, she looked at us. "Oh, so you're the vampire girls" she said.

   "So you're the wolf girl" Bella countered, the woman snickered, "I guess so, well, I'm engaged to one" she said as she set down a platter of muffins on the table. She must be Emily. Jared reaches for one and she grabbed his hand "save some for your brothers, and ladies first" she said.

   She looked at us, "muffin?" She offered, I glanced at Bella and she nodded "sure, thanks" she said, she grabbed two muffins and gave me one. "Leave it to Jacob to find a way around Sams gag order" Emily said.

   "He didn't say anything to us" I said, leaning against the wall, "it's a wolf thing, alphas orders get obeyed whether we want em to or not. Oh, and check it out, we can hear each other's thoughts" Embry said, taking a bite of his muffin.

   "Will you shut up? These are trade secrets, damn it! These chicks run with vampires" Jared said, Bella and I made eye contact and I smirked. "You can't really run with vampires" I said, they looked at me, "because their fast" Bella finished for me.

   "Yeah? Well we're faster, freaked out yet?" Jared asked, "you're not the first monsters I've met" she said.

   Sam appeared in the doorframe, "Jake's right, you two are good with weird" he said, walking over to Emily. He greeted her and then started kissing every part of her face while she giggled, my face fell as Jasper appeared in my mind. I grabbed my scarred arm.

   I zoned out, thinking about Jasper, I snapped back to reality when Bella touched my shoulder, "you okay?" She asked. I nodded "yeah, just a bit tired, I think I'm gonna go home" I said.

   She nodded and we went outside, I got my motorcycle off the back of the truck and got on, driving home and stopping outside the house. I got off and went inside, I really was tired, I got inside and immediately went up to my room, not even bothering to change before getting into bed and falling asleep.

***

   It was the next day, Bella had explained everything to me, how Victoria was still hunting us, how Jacob was hunting Victoria, and how Charlie was hunting Jacob. It was all so exhausting.

   Right now I was sitting in my bed on my laptop, I was scrolling through emails when Charlie opened my door. I looked up as he looked around the room, "this room is filthy, clean it up" he ordered.

   "It's not that bad" I said, he looked at me, "not that bad? The entire room is filled with dirty laundry and garbage, I'm not even gonna mention the smell, start cleaning" he said, leaving my room.

   I put my laptop on my dresser and went downstairs, grabbing some garbage bags and going back up. I piled all the laundry into the corner of the room, then I picked up all the trash, putting the filled garbage bags in the trash bins outside.

   I put the laundry in the washing machine before going back up to my room, I looked around, it was clean now but it was still super unorganized. Now that I've started I'm not gonna stop.

I went over to my dresser and refolded everything, rearranging the drawers and putting all the clothes that were worn out or outdated in a pile on the floor. Then I grabbed all the clothes from my closet, putting all the outdated clothes in the pile and hanging them back up neatly.

I saw some stuff at the top of my closet so I pulled everything out, putting it on the floor so I could organize it. It was the only thing I had left to do. I sat down on the floor and opened one of the boxes, taking my sketchbook from the top. I hadn't drawn since I first came to Forks, I kinda stopped liking it.

I opened it and started going through some of my old drawings, I found a sketch of a pencil holder, I remember sketching it, while I was waiting for class to start. I flipped to the next page and my face fell. Jasper.

It was a sketch I had made of Jasper the day I met him, it was well done, but unfinished, everything from the shoulders down was just messy lines, but everything else looked neat and almost real.

A tear slid down my cheek as I closed the book, setting it aside as I continued to go through the box. I took out the next thing that was inside, the grey sweatshirt, the one I had stuffed in here a couple of days ago.

   I clenched my jaw and put it on my lap before taking the last two items out of the box, my camera, and the scrapbook I'd started. I opened the scrapbook and looked at the pictures I'd put in there. There were a few of my friends, a few of me and Bella, and a few of random things like flowers I'd found.

   I smiled to myself before I flipped the page again and saw a photo of my 18th birthday party, I was standing between Jasper and Bella. Everyone was smiling happily, even Rosalie had a small smile as she stood next to Emmett.

I felt myself start to cry as I looked at the photo next to it, a photo of Jasper and I, I was smiling and he was kissing my cheek. Seeing my old self with him like that, it broke me, tears spilled down my face as I started crying.

I pulled my knees up to my chest and buried my face in my hands, sobbing as I heard footsteps. "Maya? Maya, what's wrong?" Charlie asked as he walked over, kneeling beside me. "Jasper..." I whispered.

"What about Jasper? Is he back? Did something happen to him?" He asked, I shook my head. "No... I need him... I need him to come back... I can't live without him anymore... it hurts too much... I need him back..." I cried.

He pulled me into a hug as I continued to cry, he shushed me gently, not knowing what to do, he was never really good with feelings. "Dad... why did he leave..?" I cried.

"I don't know... and I wish I could tell you it gets better... but I don't how if it will..." he said, I stopped whimpering but my tears kept falling, soaking Charlie's shirt as he held me.

I need Jasper back...