Part 37: Snoggletog part 2

Y/N POV later that evening:
Eret, me and my mom were setting up our big table for dinner. Dad and Snotlout were lighting torches outside and hanging up our bells and mistletoes.
The gang comes inside and greets us before we take our places at the table. I stand up, making everyone quiet down.

-Welcome, family and friends! We've been through many changes and challenges this year, but we've fought through them together. Cheers! I announce.
-Cheers! Everyone echoes and raises their glasses.
-Lets feast! I say and everyone digs into the food.
-Wow mom! This ham is amazing! Snotlout says and stuffs his mouthful again. I shake my head in disgust, before eating some of the ham too. Halfway through the dinner, Eret stands up and everyone turns quiet again.

-I just want to say thank you. Thank you for accepting me into your village. Thank you, Astrid, for letting me into your home, and sharing your space and food. Thank you Hiccup for giving me a new chance, he starts, before turning to me.
-Thank you, Y/N, for opening your heart to me. For letting me be who I am and not pretend I'm someone else. Thank you, for giving me a life full of love, instead of hate, he says and I blush. Snotlout groans from beside me, but I stomp on his foot, and he yelps.
-Thank you, everyone at this table for letting me into your lives. Thank you, he finishes and everyone applauds. He smiles lovingly at me. I grab his hand a squeeze it, before returning to the food.
-Oh Eret, you're always welcome here! I'm sure Y/N wouldn't mind, mom says and winks at me. Eret turns red and scratches his neck sheepishly.
-Mother! I blush furiously. Eret laughs at me, before kissing my cheek.
-I wouldn't mind either, Eret says and I hit him on the chest. He laughs more, before returning to his food.

-Did you know Y/N and Eret found a little abandoned boy? Snotlout tells mom.
-Really? Dad asks.
-Yeah! They found him yesterday and Y/N almost beat the crap out of his parents! Tuffnut adds. Everyone stares at me and Eret.
-What else would I have done? I ask, my mouth chewing the last piece of food. Dad laughs.
-That's my girl! He praises. Valka smiles.
-And she took care of the little boy! It's a mother's instinct, she smirks. Eret starts coughing, alarmed, and I freeze.
-M... m-mothers instinct? Eret asks. Everyone laughs at us, as we sit absolutely paralyzed and look at each other, beet red in the face.
I groan and put my face in my hands.
This was going to be a long night....

Later that night:
I'm sitting in front of the fireplace, as everyone else mingles around.
- What's up "mothers instinct"? Snotlout says. I sigh and punch him on the arm.
-Nothing... just thinking, I say as Snotlout whines over the punch.
-Oooo, What are you thinking about? Ruffnut asks and the twins settles on the floor between me and the fire.
-No, just.... my first time killing a dragon, I say.
-Oooo! Tuffnut says.
-You never told us what happened! Ruffnut says and shuffles forwards in the floor, her twin following after.
Everyone gathers around, with their dragons in tow. Eret sits beside me and throws an arm around me. I sigh.
-You don't have to tell the story, Valka reassures and I smile.
-No, it's ok.... I want to, I say. I look at Eret. He smiles and nods. I take a deep breath.
-Well... it started that night. You know, when Hiccup shot Toothless out of the night sky, I say and Hiccup rolls his eyes, everyone laughs.

Flashback:
It's very early. Like, still dark because it's 2 am, dark. I'm running past furious men and women that are hunting down dragons from above. I run with my own axe and shield. I was trained by Gobber on how to kill a dragon, but I didn't get the honor of killing one in the ring. Instead another boy my age did, but he fainted when they opened the gate to the dragon and they cancelled the whole thing. Running around, I'm blocking the flames that are flying from right and left, trying not to die before I could get into safety.

Gobber had asked for my help in the blacksmith. I run inside the blacksmith.
-Yeah? I ask out of breath.
-Grab those weapons from the wall, now! He says and points to one of the weapon filled walls. I nod and grab them all and throw them onto the counter.
-Good, he says and takes the broken pieces of weapons and throws the into the fire.
He starts hammering another piece of metal and I put more fuel into the fire and suddenly, Hiccup comes running.

-Nice of you to join the party! He says sarcastically. I sigh and look outside at the havoc that's raging outside.
-What? Who, me? Noooo, I'm way to muscular for their taste, they wouldn't know what to do with all this, Hiccup says, as he strains to put up a stone club onto the wall, and flexes. I scoff.
-Well they need toothpicks too, don't they? Gobber asks and I help Hiccup carry the broken and unsharpened weapons to the hot coal and I immediately run back to grab more. Hiccup runs past me and I see him looking out of the window at and explosion right outside.

The younger teens of Berk immediately gather around to put it out. In the water team, there was Fishlegs, smart and humble guy, is praised for his quickness to estimate how much water they'll have to use. My idiot of a baby brother; Snotlout. He only used this to boast about his "bravery", even though he wouldn't last a week in the dragon ring.
The twins, Ruffnut and Tuffnut, always finding something to fight about.
And then there's Astrid. Smart girl. She knows when to mind her own business and do her job.

..... Unlike some people...
Hiccup stares longingly at the girl and is halfway out the window, before I grab his shirt by the neck and pull him harshly into the blacksmith.
-Please, I need to make my mark! He pleads. I cross my arms and raise an eyebrow.
-Oh, you've made plenty of marks, all in the wrong places! Gobber scolds the young Haddock.
-Please, two minutes, I'll kill a dragon, my life will get infinitely better, and I might even get a date, Hiccup says angrily.
-You can't lift a hammer, I say, helping more people with their weapons.
-You can't swing an axe, Gobber continues, as I grab a bola from the floor and hold it up.
-You can't even throw one of these! I say as an older Viking grabs it from me and throws it, making a dragon fall. I sigh and continue my work.

-Ok, fine but this... Hiccup says and backs into the blacksmith, making me look at him. He walks to an odd looking thing.
-Will throw it for me, he says and pats it.
The pat triggers the mechanism and it flung a open, throwing a bola right at me and Gobber. Gobber jumps away and I duck to the floor.
The bola hits a man in his face and he falls to the ground. I glare and growl at Hiccup, before running outside and dragging the man to the side of the house, where I prop him up against the wall.

-If you ever want to get out there and fight a dragon, you need to stop all... Gobber pauses as I come inside again.
-This... he finishes and points to Hiccup.
-What? You just pointed to all of me, Hiccup says offended.
-Exactly, I say.
-Stop being all of you, I continue.
-Oohhhhh, Hiccup says.
-Ohhhhh, Gobber mimics.
-y-you sir are playing a dangerous game, Hiccup says and pokes Gobber on his chest.
-You can't keep all of this, raw, Vikingness, contained! There'll be consequences! Hiccup says angrily.
-I'll take those chances, Gobber says and grabs a sword from my hands.
-Sword, sharpened, now! Gobber instructs and Hiccup groans.

He starts sharpening the sword, and suddenly, I hear a familiar sound that gives one nightmares.
-Nightfury! I hear one shout, and one of our watch towers are blasted into bits. Hiccup runs to get a look outside. When he doesn't see anything, he turns back inside.
-Man the forge, Hiccup, Gobber says and changes hands fast, and looks at me.
-They need us out there, he says and walks towards the door. I nod firmly and grab my axe and shield.

Gobber stops in the door and points to Hiccup.
-Stay. Put..... there, he says and looks at me.
-Talk to him, he listens to you, he says, before turning back and running out in the havoc. I sigh and close my eyes, turning to the Haddock behind me.
-Please Y/N, it'll just be 2 minutes! He pleads. I glare at him and put down my axe.
-Hiccup, no, it's too dangerous, I say.
-So? The other get to go, he says and starts walking outside but I step in front of him.
-Hiccup, as your cousin, I say.
-Not this again, he cuts me short and tries to walk past me.
-As your friend, I articulate and I hold out an arm and push him in front of me. He sighs.
-Stay here and you're helping by not being in direct line of danger, I say and he turns to walk inside the blacksmith again.
-Yeah, yeah, I'll stay here... forging and sharpening swords, he grumbles and starts working again. I nod and pick up my axe again.
-Good... I'll see you later, I say, and follow Gobber into battle.