eleven

Abrar wasn't in a state to offer his morning prayer the next morning, his limbs and bones ached severely. However, he couldn't go back to sleep as he had this habit of waking up early by that time. Having nothing left to do, he watched Haya offer her prayers. She looked so at peace and calmful as she offered her salah with all her concentration. When Haya was finally done, she opened her hands to make dua. Even though it was creepy of him to sit and watch her like that, he couldn't take his eyes off her.

He hates to admit but he was getting attracted to her beauty and this was freaking him out. Where was this going to take him?

Mumbling a few surahs under her breath, Haya got up from the prayer mat and walked in his direction, confusing him for a moment. But he was taken off guard as she blew across his forehead whilst closing her eyes and recited the dua. Their breath got mixed, he could literally feel her inhales and exhales. He wondered if she could feel his too? Her lips were so close to touching his forehead. Abrar was left awestruck as he closed his eyes for a second.

What just happened?

"Get well soon," Haya whispered softly as she opened her eyes and gazed into his charcoal ones. Which was staring back at her with surprise and warmth and something else which she couldn't read.

"You amaze me very much." Abrar muttered as he watched her chuckle, "you're my husband after all. I should do this much at least."

"True." he genuinely smiled but whined as his arms began to pain.

"Is it hurting too much?" Haya asked with concern, he nodded his head whilst suppressing his pain.

"We haven't told anyone yet. They should be informed right?" Haya wondered as she took the flask beside her and poured it into the teacup, to Abrar's shock he saw hot tea being served in the cup.

When did she prepare that?

"I prepared it just half an hour ago. Don't look at me like that." Haya smiled at his reactions as she forwarded the cup to him. He took it, still in shock.

"I couldn't sleep last night," Haya muttered with a sad smile, rainy nights always does this to her. She wondered how did she sleep the last time.

"Someone's knocking at the door." Abrar panicked, knowing very well what's coming up next. A confused Haya opened the door and immediately became stiff as she let Ibrahim Shah inside her room.

"You foolish man! How stupid of you to fall in that sick man's trap. Look at you." Ibrahim marched into their room as he scolded his son, concern and worry overwhelmed him. Haya controlled herself from laughing out loud because it's not every day that Abrah Shah will be scolded by his dear baba. But she was in awe looking at the love of a father towards his son. That made her miss her own father. And now she was emotional.

"Baba... his men were messing with our village girls and I just wanted to teach them some lessons. It turned out into a big fight." Abrar gritted his teeth angrily.

"I came to know. Those men are not in a state to walk. I'm proud of you for standing up for the right. But it's a trap nevertheless. He wanted to hurt you and he did. Look at your state now. I cannot afford to lose you too, Abrar." Ibrahim's voice was scared. The fear of losing Abrar was frightening him from within. Abrar stared at his father with guilt. He should have been a bit more careful.

"Our doctor will come in the morning and you're not getting out of the bed. Mind you." Ibrahim placed his hand on his son's head as he ruffled Abrar's hair, "be more careful, beta. You are all I have now."

"Haya beta, please take care of him. Don't let him walk around. Look at his legs. Ya Allah!" Ibrahim immediately left the room not wanting to cry in front of his daughter in law or son. But he really felt like crying right now. He cannot afford to lose his other son too. He has already lost one of his sons due to dirty politics.

Haya watched the whole scenario in bewilderment. She felt like they were hiding something from her or something. But she shrugged it off as her attention goes back to Abrar, who was lost in his own thoughts.

"You okay?" Haya placed her hands on his, Abrar snapped his eyes in her direction and gave her a smile that quite reaches his eyes. But Haya doesn't pry.

"Drink your tea, it's getting cold."

"Thanks," Abrar mumbled as he eyed her, maybe he was wrong about judging Haya. She was nothing like the(city) girl he has pictured her to be. She was crazy but different. Suddenly he craved to know her more, craved to spend more time with her, curious to know the real Hayat Ali.

"Thanks for the tea and everything else, Haya." Haya smiled as she shrugged it off and walked into the dressing room to get bathed.

Abrar silently drank his tea, his thoughts were once again back to his twin brother. He missed him so much, like everyone else in his family or maybe more.

***

Around seven a.m., the whole haveli knew about his state.

"Bi jaan, I'm fine," Abrar whined as she applied some turmeric paste on his wounds. She glared at him in return which was enough to shut him up, on the other side, his mother was reciting Quran sadly. Haya was watching his helplessness with amused eyes. Everyone except Bano took turns to visit him and scold him for good two minutes for being so reckless and falling into Imran's trap so easily. He really should have been extra careful.

"Sarah, we should let him rest. Come on, let's go." Bi jaan got up from the bed, Abrar sighed inwardly. All of their concerns only made him feel guilty and it was beginning to make him suffocated.

"Haya beta. I will cook for Abrar today, you just stay here with him." Sarah said to her daughter in law, who smiled back at her. Abrar though wasn't fond of this decision but he did miss his mother's cooking, so he can suck it up for a day and eat something which is not prepared by Haya.

Stop being a brat. His subconscious scolded him.

It was now just Haya and Abrar. And there was a moment of silence.

"Uh-uh? Where to?" Haya stopped him, as he was about to get up from the bed. He rolled his eyes at her. Can't a man even move?

"I want to change into something else. This one stinks." Abrar replied in a gruff voice. Haya stared at his black kurta which still had blood stains and was torn a bit. Why didn't she think of this? Biting her lips, Haya walked into the dressing room.

Abrar watched her in confusion.

"You might find difficulty in wearing the kurta, wear shirts for a change. It will be easy." Haya mumbled as she forwarded him the shirt, which she found with a lot of difficulties. All he had was kurta and sherwani, just like any other typical guy from a village.

Haya wondered how he'd look in a shirt.

Abrar frowned at the shirt, as he took it from her. Although he didn't want to wear a shirt. She did have a valid point. His band-aid on the right arm was still fresh and he couldn't even move them properly, which made him wonder how is he going to remove the kurta now?

"If you want, I can help with the kurta," Haya asked sceptically, he nodded a bit eagerly, already wanting to be out of that damn kurta. It irked him.

When Haya slowly yet carefully removed his kurta, she had to gulp down her saliva. He had no vest on today, which meant he was half-naked. Ready for her eyes to feast on. He had a great physique. She had seen him naked one or two times, but never this close.

She had this stupid urge to run her hands through his perfectly toned chest. But shut her eyes close and moved behind. What a crazy girl. Haya scolded herself as she came back to her self-consciousness.

Abrar had a smug smile on. It wasn't every day that his wife checks him out like this.

Haya couldn't help it, he was so handsome after all. She had to admit that her husband was drool-worthy. Damn, he was hot even with the bruises and wounds.

***

Glossary:

Surah= Each sentence of the Holy Qur'an is named as verse, while every particular part consisting of verses is called Surah.