seventeen

It was yet another Sunday where the ladies of the Shah haveli were happily chilling in the living room. Haya sat beside bi jaan as she pressed her hands, whilst bi jaan narrated them all her childhood stories. Meruza was lying on her mother's lap, listening to bi jaan and Sarah was knitting a sweater for Abrar.

"Bi jaan, waise... do you ever miss your home?" Meruza asked curiously cutting bi jaan off in the middle. Who grinned at her for the question.

(well)

"This haveli has been my home for the past forty-five years. But yes, I do miss my home." Bi jaan smiled, lost in her memories of home. Meruza then turned to her Tayi Ammi, "Sarah Ammi, what about you?"

"Of course, she does, what kind of question is that. Every girl misses their mother's home, right?" Haya stated like it was the most obvious thing. Sarah smiled at her response with a nod of her head. Bano paid the least attention to these talks, as she was lost in her own world.

"What about you then?" Meruza cross-questioned her with a grin, Haya's face paled right away. She stared back at her blankly.

"I should have my parents alive to miss their home right." Haya smiled dryly, Meruza bit her lips in regret. Bi jaan snapped her head at that as she observed Haya's sad smile. Sarah stopped her knitting and stared at Haya in pity.

"Haya beta, this is your home now. Don't ever think that you're alone, okay?" Bi jaan caressed her cheeks lovingly, Haya just smiled in return which didn't even reach her eyes.

"You have us don't worry." Meruza got up from her mother's lap, as she went and sat beside Haya whilst side hugging her.

"We are your family. Don't think too much." Sarah gave her a kind smile, Haya suddenly felt overwhelmed with all the love she was getting. The fact that they genuinely care about her made Haya's heart flutter. How did she get so lucky?

"I have to thank bi jaan for this." Haya blurted out loudly and bit her lips as everyone stared at her quizzically.

"For marrying me with Abrar. If not, I'd have missed such amazing people in my life. Thank you bi jaan." Haya answered their unasked question as she smiled at bi jaan with gratitude and love.

"If not... I don't know what would have happened. Maybe my aunt would have gotten me married to some sick old man or something. They also tried to set me up with Aahil first, he even tried his tricks on me but when he realized that it was useless, he went to my sister instead. She just fell into their traps easily. But I feel lucky that I've gotten married to Abrar. I have to thank bi jaan for that." Haya had tears in her eyes as she hugged bi jaan, who hugged her back emotionally. Sarah and Meruza were in awe, not even noticing Abrar who was standing there for the past few minutes.

"Ahem." they finally noticed Abrar. Haya slowly pulled back from bi jaan who kissed her forehead lovingly. Abrar smiled at that, "Haya I want to talk with you. Come to our room." his voice was filled with seriousness, Haya got up from the sofa curiously and followed him behind, subtly wiped way her tears which did go by his notice. He did not say anything though.

"Not there, come with me." Abrar clasped their hands together, as he changed the direction, "that's not the way to our room." Haya asked him with curiosity, her hazel eyes shining brightly in the daylight.

"I know." Abrar smiled a small smile as they walked together, Haya's mouth went into an 'o' when she realized they were on the terrace.

"Why are we here?" Haya asked as she walked to the edge of the pillars and now, she could stare at the whole of the village to some extent, her eyes hurt from the amount of greenness everywhere. But it was still beautiful.