twenty three

Everything was blank.

Abrar literally couldn't feel anything. His whole body felt numb and his legs didn't move even an inch, his eyes felt tight every time he tried to open them. But he tried hard. He can't die. Not yet.

"Abrar... are you listening to me? Ya Allah! Doctor his hands are moving." Sarah cried in happiness as she called for the doctor. She thanked her almighty silently and went out to inform her worried husband and her mother in law, who didn't leave the hospital for the last two days.

Abrar was confused as to what happened to his mother and why was she behaving weird. He tried to move his fingers but it felt like it was frozen to the bed. The sudden brightness hurt his eyes, but his eyelids slowly yet finally opened and the first thing he saw was the strange person shoving torch into his eyes. He blinked away and felt that person stepping backwards.

"Hey..." the doctor tried to act friendly but Abrar gave him an angry glare.

"Where the hell am I?" was the first thing he asked.

"You're in the hospital." the doctor answered calmly as he checked his foot, "can you feel this?" Abrar nodded like it was the most obvious thing. How can one person not feel his legs?

"Do you remember what happened before you came here?" the doctor asked again as he checked his hands making him wince in pain.

"I and my wife went on a long drive and then that's all. It's blank afterwards. What happened to me?" he demanded furiously, the doctor then checked his injured head which was band-aided.

"Someone attacked you severely. And then you were brought to the hospital on time, luckily. You should thank Allah for that." the doctor smiled at him.

"Finally! Thank goodness that you're fine. What is wrong with you? Who in their right mind will go on a long drive so late at night that too with elections coming so close? What if something happened to you?" Ibrahim barged into the ward and yelled at his son furiously yet his voice was filled with concern and love.

"Stop scolding him... He just woke up." Sarah scolded her husband as she went and sat beside her son.

"Your son is fine now. His injuries will take some time to heal and that's it. Nothing to worry about." the doctor replied with an assuring smile. But Abrar was so confused the whole time.

"Can someone call Haya? Where is she? Is she okay?" he remembered the last thing he saw was her panic-stricken face before something hard hit his head. He couldn't remember anything afterwards.

"Abrar beta... relax. You shouldn't take so much stress. Sit still." his mother told him with concern but he wasn't having any of it.

"WHERE IS SHE?"

"Don't raise your voice. She's missing okay. She's missing for the past two days and there's no call from the kidnapper yet. How did you think that roaming out at night unarmed will be okay? Did you see what happened to you now? I hope you learnt your lesson the hard way." Ibrahim snapped at his son.

"What do you mean she's kidnapped? Didn't you try to find her out? You're a politician for fucks sake." Abrar yelled in frustration as he removed the pins from his hands which was circulating the glucose for him. Haya was kidnapped right under his nose. How did he let that happen? Was she okay? Why didn't the kidnapper call them yet? Worry began to take over his mind and suddenly he was so scared.

Abrar Shah was never scared of anything.

But for the first time in his life, he felt what fear looks like. The fear of losing her was scaring him like crazy. He couldn't even think straight.