fourteen

Meruza was sleeping peacefully when Haya knocked at her door, in the middle of the night. She got up to see who it was at this time, half curious and half annoyed. Annoyed because her precious sleep was disturbed for whatever reason it is.

"Who's it?" Meruza asked in her sleepy voice. The moment she opened the door, a very teary-eyed Haya barged into her room, taking her by surprise.

"Haya? What's wrong?" Meruza was now fully awake. She strides towards Haya, who sat on her bed, worryingly. Haya looked like she'd burst out crying any moment.

"Your cousin is the biggest jerk I've ever seen," Haya muttered furiously as she controlled herself from not crying. He was definitely not worth her tears. And she considers it's weak to cry in front of others. That's what she's been telling herself continuously but her heart was so hurt from his actions. She couldn't hold on to that tears anymore.

"I heard Chachi and you talk about his birthday, and I thought I'd surprise him with a cake and he just threw it away. I mean who does that?" Haya asked as she wiped away her damn tears which wouldn't stop flowing. As she recollected that moment again, it hurt her a hundred times more.

"YOU DID WHAT?" Meruza's eyes widened in shock as she gasped at the new piece of information. That explained her mother's sudden interest in Abrar's birthday. Damn, she was such a cunning woman.

"I baked him a cake." Haya sniffled as she stared at Meruza confusedly.

"Haya... you don't understand. I mean didn't Abrar tell you. He should have. What an idiot that guy is. Let me just go and give him a slap myself. You wait here. Please stop crying, I'll ask him to come and apologize to you. Just wait here." Meruza was so furious. Haya was furthermore confused. She looked at the disappearing image of Meruza with a frown.

What a weird family!

***

Abrar was smoking angrily when Meruza barged into his room, with a furious and annoyed face. Her eyes fell on the destroyed cake first and then she shot him a dirty glare.

"You do realize how much of a jerk you're, right?" Meruza asked as she stared at the cigarette in his hands and then shot him a furious glare.

"Stop it Meruza." Abrar snapped at her rudely, to which she rolled her eyes in disbelief.

"Answer me, Abrar. Did you tell her about Ayaan's death?" he gave her a blank stare as a reply.

"Then what else do you expect from her, Abrar? Huh. She was your freaking wife, Haya deserved to know. First of all, you did not say her anything and when she wanted to do something nice because she wasn't aware of things, you behave like a jerk. What is her fault in this?" Meruza lashed out at him.

"I almost forgot about this day, Meruza. I didn't even realize it was our birthday. What else would you expect from me, when she woke me up in the middle of the night to celebrate my fucking birthday. The same date when I lost my twin? I wasn't in my senses, all my mind could process was the date and the memories related to it." Abrar shot back, his voice cracked slightly at the memories of his twin.

"It was Ammi who told her about your birthday." A moment of realization passes through his mind.

"I'm sorry, Abrar. I can feel you, I really do. But it still wasn't Haya's fault, technically you should have told this to her earlier and then it wouldn't have gone this far. She has taken so much effort to bake that cake hoping that you'd be happy only to get such a sick response?" Meruza asked him angrily, disappointment clearly evident in her voice.

"I lost my mind, okay. Stop reminding it to me again and again." Abrar whisper yelled. She stared at him blankly not believing how easily he has accepted his fault. He never does that. Like never! And this was a first.