twenty one

Haya was annoyed. Enough said.

"You know he loves chicken tikka and especially the ones made by me." bragged the cousin of Abrar with a sly smile plastered on her face.

"Oh." Haya faked a smile whilst turning around and looking for Abrar, who has been vanished for the past half an hour. She was so mad at him at that moment. Apparently, important work has come in between, so he had to drop her at the entrance of Iflan's haveli and hasn't returned yet.

"Does he like your cooking?" the girl asked her. Haya felt like snapping back a rude reply or something. She really was testing her patience.

"Maheen beta, come here. Help me with the boxes." Iflan's mother called that girl, making Haya sigh in relief. That girl has been eating her ears since the time they've arrived here. Meruza has disappeared to god knows where, the Shah ladies were busy with the other ladies of their age and Haya was kind of left alone for the past half an hour. So, Maheen the younger sister of Iflan thought that it'd be fun to come and chat with her.

It was all good until the only thing Maheen would talk about was Abrar. She was going on and on about Abrar this or Abrar that. It was like she's obsessed with him. And that annoyed Haya as nothing else could.

"I'll be there in a minute. Don't go anywhere." Maheen excused herself as she ran towards her mother, who was busy with her elder daughter's engagement preparations.

Haya faked a smile yet again, the moment the girl left, she immediately got up from her chair and went in search of Abrar, hoping that he'd come soon. But as far as her eyes can go, there were only strangers everywhere.

The Khan Haveli was filled with lots of guests today. It was their elder daughter's engagement. And they made sure it was grand enough.

"Excuse me, can you please tell me where the washroom is?" she asked a random lady, who directed her to one room, mumbling thanks to her, Haya walked in that direction. The moment she was about to open the door, few voices were heard from inside which made her stop from opening the door.

"She is not even that beautiful. I don't know what that old lady saw in her." she heard one person mutter in annoyance.

"Like she's just short and her face is so plain. Look at her and look at me!" the same person boasted arrogantly. Haya couldn't help but roll her eyes. She hated such people, who think only they are superior or beautiful.

Allah's every creation is beautiful. That's that.

"Don't worry, Mahi. You still have a chance. He's allowed to have more than one wife. Seduce him or something." it was another voice this time.

What even? Haya already hates them. Whoever they are.

"He already likes me. It's not that tough of a job. Anyways help me pick these boxes." the first person chuckled proudly as she ordered the second person in a bossy way. And in a second the door flung open. Haya looked at them both curiously, wondering who they were both talking about.

"Hi... what are you doing here?" Maheen asked whilst trying to hide her nervousness. The other one almost looked like she was petrified.

"I- washroom. I was going to the washroom." if her guess was right, then they both must be talking about her. But she wasn't very sure. So, Haya gave them a polite smile as they moved aside, letting her into the room.

"Did you think she heard us? What if she figured that we were talking about her?" the other person whisper yelled at Maheen who glared at her angrily. Haya who just entered the bathroom heard that part unintentionally and her blood began to boil with rage.