✔ | 21 - 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝑯𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝑻𝒐 𝑯𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝑭𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝑴𝒆

𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐇𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐓𝐨 𝐇𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐌𝐞

- - -
Remember to let her into your heart,
Then you can start to make it better

Hey Jude
~The Beatles
- - -

The crowd suddenly seemed to be too thick to pass through. Everyone was half-drunk or on the way there, falling into Kat as she pushed herself towards the exit - where Damon led the police deputies with an incapacitated Lexi.

Kat's eyes had zeroed in on the empty syringe in Damon's hand the very moment she had noticed Lexi falling limp against him across the room. Even with superspeed, Kat could do nothing but to try and run towards her, but not before Sheriff Liz's officers had already hauled Stefan's friend outside.

Kat heard Stefan and Elena's shuffling behind her right before she pushed the dirty back door of the Grill. Outside, cold breeze wafted her way, and with that, the awful sound of flesh slashing. She could see a shiny black back leaning into a tuft of blonde hair, and with a thud - Lexi Branson fell to the ground with a wooden stake through her heart. Stefan pulled himself past Kat. She locked her arms around his chest, pulling him behind the corner against her; Elena held onto him.

He struggled at first, trying to leave Kat's protective grip to the sounds of Lexi's last breaths wheezing out of her, but she couldn't let that happen. There was no way to prove that Stefan wouldn't end up the same that very second. Stefan finally gave in, falling flat against the brick wall in the shadows. His chest shook with sobs, sound barely escaping him against his palm pressing his mouth.

They heard the deputies leave with Lexi's body, which is the moment Stefan broke free of his shock to pounce out of the shadows.

"Stefan don't-" Elena hung onto him stronger, pulling him back with a cry. She tried to hold him down from murdering his own brother.

However, Kat did not have such discriminations.

Anger was boiling deep in her like every vein in her body was on fire. The person who had known Stefan the longest - his best friend - had died right in front of her eyes at the hands of Damon Salvatore. If only she hadn't left Lexi's side, she would be alive right now. Nothing would have changed and Stefan would still have been happy on the one day that was his.

Running to the street, she found Damon walking back inside. She pulled him behind into the alley with a snarl. She smashed him to the brick wall, her hand like a vice grip taking the life out of him. He struggled, but meekly.