ꜱɪx - 𝑫𝒐𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒍𝒃𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉

[Episode 26 - Memory Lane - 2]

The next day, Damon and Kat enter the Grill to find Elena concentrating on her homework, for once. "Hey 'Lena" she mutters, sliding onto one of the chairs and Damon comes back after giving his order.

"So, this is where you spend your time when you're not stabbing people in the back" Damon snarks lowly as he drapes an arm over Kat's chair. At Duke, Elena apparently manipulated Damon into giving her the book about Katherine Pierce's family history - now the Petrova family history. 

"I tricked you into telling me the truth" Elena states "-that's not stabbing you in the back, it's using your own tactics against you"

She pulls her sister up with her and drags her out. 

"Where are you going?" Damon frowns.

"I made myself clear, Damon. I want nothing to do with you" Elena glares and Kat narrows her eyes. Why is she being so bitchy now? 

"Okay. See you at Jenna's barbecue" Damon states smugly, causing the younger Gilbert twin to stop dead in her tracks 

"How did you know about Jenna's barbecue?" Technically, it's Kat's barbecue, but whatever. She got a cryptic call from none other than uncle Mason I-turn-into-a-wolf Lockwood first thing in the morning, asking to set up the barbecue tonight.

"Mason lost a bet with my our not-so-weak girl Kat here, and Jenna went to high school with him so I figured a social gathering would be a good way to get to know the guy. So, we're gonna grill some chicken" he smirks at his own joke and Kat rolls her eyes. 

Mason's like her godfather. He meant her no harm. Even if he was running around as a wolf.

"Does Jenna know that you're going to be there because she's not exactly a fan of you" Elena uses her last straw to remain away from the vampire who's spoiling her sister, when she couldn't be more wrong.

A woman worker of the Grill walks up to him and gives him a box "Perfect timing. Thank you"he turns to the straight-haired twin "I'm hoping this peach cobbler will pave the way"

▹▹▹

"Why are you and Damon together?" Elena asks not-so-gently once they reach home. The Saturday sun is starting to set.

The elder twin scoffs "Chill, we're not getting married... Lemonade?" she sets down the heavy bag with the old book and her necklace, which Stefan gave to her. 

Apparently it was left with him since the Founder's Day and he forgot to give it back to her. The necklace is what the book called a Guardian's charm. It's better to keep this around, to moderate her emerging powers.

"You didn't answer my question" Elena huffs and sits down on the stool, hoping to complete the conversation before Jenna or Alaric or Mason come in.

"We're not together 'Lena... We're just... with each other" she can't find any other phrase to describe the intimacy-unintimacy between the older Salvatore and her.

"Girls? Are you home?" they hear their aunt's happy voice boom through and Kat smiles, eager for the buffer "In here Jenny!"

▹▹▹

"Thanks for letting me invite Caroline. She could use a day of distraction" Elena gratefully puts in while coming inside with plates filled with the steaming result of the barbecue. Kat begins setting the batch as Jenna hugs her from behind, making the girl smile.

The Guardian and supernatural mumbo-jumbo had taken a toll on the twins' time with their aunt, so all of them were sticking close to each other. 

"Well, she's not the plus one I'm worried about" Jenna frowns over Kat's shoulder "Why is Damon here?"