ꜰᴏʀᴛʏ ᴏɴᴇ - 𝑼𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝑪𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒍

[Episode 19 - Miss Mystic Falls]

I wake up to Jeremy tip-toeing around the room. "How're you taking it?" I whisper, dreading the answer. He sighs and avoids my look, handing me my diary "I, need some time..."

"I'm s-"

"Look Katherine-" the use of my first name hurts like no other sting "- you erased a part of my memories. Surely you should understand when I say that I need some space. Now, I'm headed out". He rushes out and I sigh.

Time for school.

▹▹▹

I park my car at the far end of the parking lot and stalk closer to the Hell they like to call school. I see Elena and Stefan walk off together, arm-in-arm. But more than that, what irks my eyes is the cherry red classic Porsche sitting in the first spot.

Something is really wrong with Stefan.

I don't get to question it further when they announce that the day is declared a half-day because of the Miss Mystic Falls pageant prep. O god. Mom signed up Elena and me for this. But, she isn't here now. Should I take my name off? But I want to be a part of this and it makes me feel really terrible.

My best friend's fighting blood addiction, my sister is dating a guy I'm having feelings for and I feel like I'm about to burst any second.

And I wanna go to a pageant?

No, you have to do it for her. My inner voice answers. I sigh and make my way into the class.

"Okay, this week we're gonna set aside our regular curriculum for a lesson in local history as we approach Founders' Day. Apparently"  Alaric rants frustratedly as his class begins "-the community leaders feels it's more important than World War 2 but hey what do I know?"

He's about to start the Founder's history when we all hear a familiar brunette witch enter. "Sorry I'm late..." she hurries and settles into her seat beside mine.

"Well, it looks like we will be at full occupancy today. Welcome home, Bonnie"

I smile at her hesitantly and she smiles back at Elena and me. Suddenly, her smile falls as she averts her gaze. I look to Stefan lowering his head in guilt.

▹▹▹

As soon as the class gets over, Bonnie takes her assignment from Alaric and rushes out. "Bonnie!" Elena yells and we catch up to her.

"Hey..." her rush slows down to a walk but she still avoids us.

"Hey, how are you? How's your family?" I ask. Her jaw tightens as she says "We're dealing, it's been hard..."

"We really missed you Bonnie..." Elena sighs sympathetically.

"Yeah, I just had so much to deal with after Grams' funeral and, honestly after you told me the tomb spell failed I just didn't really want to come back..."

"I hope that you understand why we called...We wanted you to know before you came home-" I try to explain

"I understand why. I just...shouldn't know" she hugs her books closer and I do the same, awkward silence taking the place of words.

"I know it's been really har-" Elena is cut off by a cheery Caroline.

"Bonnie! Bonnie! Thank god you're home!" she hugs her tightly, which the witch returns readily unlike any conversations with us.

"I know we talked everyday but I missed you!"

"Everyday huh?" I avoid my gaze from the duo and look down to my shoes.