Chapter 10: All Might's Secret

" One for All is a very intricate quirk. Its power has been passed down from wielder to wielder since the emergence of quirks. It is a lattice of power which connects each wielder to the last. With every person added to the growing chain of users, the power develops and gets stronger. My mentor, Nana Shimura, passed it on to me before she... was defeated in battle." All Might explained. I saw the grief and sadness in All Might's eyes at the mention of his predecessor. It was obvious he missed her. "All Might,  who would you have chosen if you hadn't been forced to give it to me?" I asked the ex-pro. All Might started slightly and looked up at my face. I think he expected to see hurt, seeing as I had been a heat of the moment decision, but I wasn't hurt. I was just curious. All Might sighed slightly and looked up at the moon, "Well... I was actually considering giving my quirk to you anyway. It was either you or Mirio Togata in the third year. He obviously has more experience when it comes to hero work, and he carries all of my values so he was a very good choice, but something held me back from giving my quirk to him. I'm not sure what it was." All Might explained. I nodded my head in understanding, Togata was a very good hero from what I had heard. I mean, he was part of the UA Big Three. He had to be good to earn a place in that group. "Why were you considering me?" I asked quietly. It made sense why he would consider Togata, but I couldn't see what he saw in me. "I think it's rather obvious. You hold all of my values and ideas. You have the heart of a hero. I can just see something in you which made me consider you. Even if I hadn't battled All for One, and had to give away my power at that moment, I probably would have still given it to you." All Might smiled at me. I returned his tired smile and looked up at the moon. 

After All Might told me about his quirk, he shared a bit more of his past with me. He told me about his days at UA. He told me about his mentor, Nana, and his mentor's friend, Gran Torino. He told me about his old sidekick, Sir Nighteye. It felt like I had known All Might my entire life. He was like a kind uncle. Of course, I didn't tell him this. We had only just started speaking, it would be weird for me to call him my uncle. 

After a total of 1 and a half hours of speaking and generally just getting to know each other, All Might said it was time that I get back to the dorms. I agreed with him and continued to talk his ear off as he pushed me from the flower garden to the dorms. 

When we arrived at the dorms, a few people were still in the lounge area. I saw Sato in the kitchen. Hagakure and Ojiro were watching a film together, they were very close together. It was clear that they were in a relationship. I could see Momo and Kyoka as they walked into the stairwell, giddy smiles on their faces. The final people I saw in (or around) the lounge were Kacchan and Shoto. When they saw All Might push me in, they smiled up at us before returning to their conversation. "Can you manoeuvre yourself from here, Young Aizawa-Midoriya?" All Might asked. I nodded my head and thanked All Might for pushing me back from the flower garden before wheeling myself over to my boyfriend and best friend. 

"Hey, guys. What are you talking about?" I asked the two boys as I got closer. They looked up at me and smiled before Shoto grabbed onto the closest parts of my wheelchair to me and dragging me over to him. "Just random things. We got a lost closer whilst you were... away." Shoto said the last part a bit hesitantly as a cloud of misery descended on all of us. We sat in silence for a second until the cloud was shaken off and we adopted our light air once again. "That's good! I've always wanted you guys to be close!" I beamed at the two boys who meant the most to me. Kacchan grumbled something under his breath which sounded suspiciously like "As if I'd let this half and half loser be my friend.", but I wasn't sure. "What were you and All Might doing, Love?" Shoto asked curiously as he effortlessly lifted me from my wheelchair and onto his lap. I blushed a bit at his blatant display of physical affection. "Umm..." I tried to speak but couldn't concentrate on anything but the fact that I was sat on my boyfriend's lap. "We just spoke, you know. He was checking up on me after everything that's happened." I said, trying to sound nonchalant. As I'm sure I've said before, I'm not a very good liar. Kacchan and Shoto exchanged a disbelieving look but ultimately appeared to shrug it off. We spoke for a little while longer before we all decided we should head up to bed. I was just wondering how I was going to make it upstairs since the lift was broken, when Shoto stood up with me still on his arms. 

I gasped slightly as Shoto carried me, princess style, towards the stairwell. "Shoto! What are you doing?" I shrieked, looking up at my boyfriend's indifferent face. "Well, Izuku, I think it's fairly obvious that I'm carrying you to your room." Shoto said bluntly. I heard Kacchan chuckle behind us, causing me to whip my head around to see him. Kacchan was bringing up the rear, carrying my wheelchair in his hands. I glared at him before returning my attention back to Shoto as we began to ascend the stairs. "But, what if I get too heavy?" I asked in concern. Shoto's lips quirked slightly as he looked down into my eyes. I felt my heart stop at the sight above me. I was constantly reminded just how breath-taking Shoto was. I felt like a potato next to him. "I wouldn't worry about that, Love. You're really light. I could bench-press you if I wanted to." Shoto shrugged. I silently glowered at him. I wasn't that light. I mean sure, literally everyone I know can easily pick me up and carry me for varying amounts of time, but that wasn't weird. I'm sure that happens to a lot of people. 

The journey up the stairs felt like it took an eternity. My face was red with embarrassment the entire time. It didn't help when Ochako, Iida, Shinso and Tsu saw Shoto carrying me. Ochako and Tsu laughed at how red my face was whilst Shinso just smirked slightly and raised his eyebrows suggestively. Iida didn't really say much, he seemed to be in his own head about something. He didn't even scold Shoto about how unsafe it was to carry me up the stairs. "Aww. You guys are just too cute!" Ochako squealed, squeezing her girlfriend's ( It turns out that they had started officially dating just before the training camp) arm. Tsu smiled at us and nodded along with Ochako. "I agree, this is a very adorable sight." Tsu ribbitted. I buried my face in my hands to avoid everyone's eyes and started mumbling about how embarrassing the situation was. It didn't take long before Shoto decided that we should head up to our floor. I will admit I was tired but I didn't want Shoto to baby me. 

When we finally reached our floor, I turned to Shoto and demanded that he put me down. "Shoto put me down," I growled. I loved him, but I didn't want to be weak. I could have gotten upstairs on my own. Sure, the lift was broken, I couldn't walk properly and I wasn't allowed to transform since it could mess up my bones even more, but I could make it up the stairs. Shoto sighed as he looked down at me, "Please calm down, Sweetheart. I'll put you down now." Shoto sighed. I crossed my arms and looked away from him. It might seem petty, but I was slightly angry at Shoto for stripping me of my independence. I didn't even get a choice on whether he carried me or not. I could have asked my dad or Papa. Heck, I could have slept on the sofa. Any of that would have been better than not having my independence. I heard Kacchan placing my wheelchair on the floor behind us before Shoto turned around and placed me in my chair. "Please don't be angry, Love. I simply wanted to help you." Shoto whispered as he knelt in front of me. I saw Kacchan walk into his bedroom behind Shoto. I think he sensed that we were most likely about to argue. I huffed in response to Shoto before ignoring him and starting to wheel myself towards my bedroom door. It may have seemed over the top and rude, but I really didn't want to speak to Shoto at that moment.

I struggled to unlock my door and get in, but I didn't ask Shoto for help. He was leant against the wall, looking down at me with an array of emotions flickering across his face. When I finally managed to get my door open and get into the room, I was ready to just go to sleep and put the entire thing behind me, but Shoto decided to invite himself into my room.

"Why did you come in?" I asked through gritted teeth. Shoto made a noise of indifference before walking past me and sitting at my desk. He looked like he was making himself very comfortable. "I didn't say you could come in! Get out!" I yelled at Shoto. I was irrationally angry at him. All of the stress of the previous days was building up on me. I didn't mean to explode on my boyfriend. "Just go away, Shoto! I never asked for your help! I don't want you here! Just fuck off and leave me alone!" I screamed at him. Shoto looked at me in shock before a shadow descended over his face and he abruptly stood up. If I could, I would have stepped back in fear. But I couldn't for obvious reasons. The look on Shoto's face reminded me of when we had first met. His face was blank and emotionless. It wasn't as open as I was used to, there was no longer an adoring sparkle in his eyes. "Fine. All I wanted to do was help you, but obviously you don't want or need me. I'll be in my room if you decide you want to stop being a bitch." Shoto snarked before stomping out of the room. Had we just had our first argument?

Thank you for reading chapter 10 of Phenomenon. Sorry, this chapter is a bit shorter than usual, I wasn't sure what to write. I hope you have a wonderful day wherever you are.