Chapter 40: A Sort Of Date

After everything which has happened, I think some obligatory fluff is overdue.

The morning light filtered through my curtains, striking my closed eyelids and slowly easing me out of my uneasy sleep. Whilst it hadn't been my worst nightmare, not by a long shot, it still resonated in my mind. It curled its evil tail around my heart and squeezed, promising that it wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. But I didn't want to think about that or anything which has occurred in the last few weeks. Not the build-up to the raid, not my week inside of the base and certainly not what had happened during the raid. What I desperately wanted, what I craved, was to be surrounded by the ones I loved in an environment in which I was comfortable. Thankfully, I didn't have to go seeking this comfort. 

A knock at the door was what prompted me to snap out of gazing blankly at the wall and get out of bed. It wouldn't do me any good to just sit there all day, I needed to interact with people. I shuffled over to the door and pulled it open to see Shoto stood there, worry and concern alight in every single one of his features.

"Izuku, are you ok? I was worried about you since it's 11 am and you're usually out of your room before that." Shoto said.

"I'm ok... I'm not the best." I automatically lied before I corrected myself and let the small smile which I had pushed onto my features to fall. 

"How about we sit down in your room. Maybe you could tell me about what's bothering you. Or... or we could just... cuddle... if you want." Shoto muttered bashfully. He wasn't the best when it came to reassuring others or romantic gestures, but I appreciated his effort all the same. At least he was trying to empathize with me, and that was, truthfully, all I could ask of him.

"Ok. Come in." a small, real, smile slipped onto my lips as I let my boyfriend into my room. He had been in my room hundreds of times before, yet I always got butterflies in my stomach when the two of us were alone together.

Shoto and I sat on my bed in silence, his arms wrapped around my shoulder as we both watched a film on my laptop. There was an awkward air which lingered between the two of us. It had been so long since we had been alone together with nothing to bother us. With nothing lingering in my mind. There was only me and Shoto, alone. 

"So... Izuku, would you like to... talk about what happened?" Shoto questioned in a halting tone. 

"No. Not right now. Maybe soon, but not now. I just want to spend some time with you and forget everything." I whispered. I turned away from the screen and buried my face into his chest, drawing his soothing scent into me. He smelled like home and comfort. It was the only thing I needed after everything which had happened to me. 

"That's alright. You don't need to rush anything. I love you, Izuku." Shoto hummed into my hair as he buried his face there. 

"Thank you. I love you too." I hummed in return. Silence continued to rule over us, but it was no longer filled with palpable nerves which were born from the extended time in which we hadn't been able to appreciate each other's company. Instead, the silence was filled to the brim with adoration and clearly communicated love. Love which was expressed in gentle caresses, chaste kisses and loving looks, all accompanied by warm embraces.

"Would you like to go and get something to eat? You haven't had anything to eat since you woke up, and that was five hours ago, Katsuki is probably about to serve dinner." Shoto asked as he picked his head up from my chest and looked directly into my eyes with his heterochromatic ones. 

"Sure, I am feeling a bit hungry." I smiled. What I didn't add on was that I knew if I didn't eat that day, I would fall into bad habits, and I had no desire to do that. I was determined to cope with everything in the correct way now. Through professional and family help, I would come to terms with what had happened  I would get better in a healthy way.