Chapter 38: Leaving The Hospital (Again)

The days within the hospital seemed to pass in a blur, mainly in part due to the constant rota of visitors who always occupied my bedside. Dad, Papa, Auntie Joke, Auntie Nemuri, Kacchan, Shoto, Kyoka, Ochako, Hitoshi, Tsu, and Iida to name a few. Practically the entire class had visited at some point, bringing with them happiness and refreshing air of carefree attitude.

 I couldn't have been more thankful for the people I had surrounded myself with. They didn't ask questions about the haunted look that overcame my face from time to time. They didn't comment when I sat there for just a bit too long, staring at the blank wall and not responding. They didn't say anything because they knew I was healing. They knew that I wasn't in the best mental state, and they were fine with that. They were perfectly ok with it, which only encouraged me to get better sooner. I wanted to build off of their kindness and support to find stable footing and be the best me I could be. They helped me throughout every step of my journey- before and after the raid- and they couldn't possibly comprehend just how much their kind words and actions meant to me.

"Papa, when are you and Dad getting married. I know you've only been engaged for a few months, but I was just wondering?" I questioned my parental figure with a tilted head. 

"Probably soon, in all honesty. You know your dad, he'll most likely just want to sign the marriage certificate and continue on with our lives because it's 'logical' and practical', " Papa sighed, making air quotes.

"But I think we'll probably have a really small service. A compromise between what we both want. Maybe at some point shortly after the school festival, who knows? If we do have a service, it will probably only be Nemuri, Emi, The Bakugo's, The Jiro's, some of the teachers, you and Hitoshi. Hell, Shota might only want you, Hitoshi, Emi and Nemuri there. I'm fine with either one, as long as we're married." Papa sighed wistfully. I hoped that I could one day achieve the love which shone in his eyes.

 His eyes spoke of complete and utter devotion to my dad. Whilst Shoto was my boyfriend, and I loved him dearly, our love wasn't even comparable to that of Papa and Dad. And that was ok. We were only teens, after all, the start of our relationship was rather impromptu. Whilst our relationship advanced at a slow rate, we were still figuring each other out and learning more about one another. We were in love, but not like my parents were. We were more likely to break-up over stupid things, as was the way with teenage romance. That was fine. Even if it ended, I would still cherish Shoto and strive to be his friend.

"The doctor just needs to check you over one last time and then you can leave," Shuri-san said as she sat beside me. "You seem to be doing a bit better emotionally. Of course, you're not completely healed, but that will take time and support from your friends and family." 

"Thank you for what you've done for me, Shuri-san." I gratefully said, bowing the upper half of my body in her direction.

"No need for that, Izuku. I'm simply doing my job." she waved off.

"I don't think part of your job is sitting by my bedside and having conversations with me, I'm grateful, nonetheless." I quipped with a raised eyebrow. 

Shuri-san's musical laughter chimed through the room, warming my heart and making a large smile stretch across my cheeks. The two of us spoke for quite some time until the doctor came in and Shuri-san's pager went off. 

"I have to go now but thank you for being such a lovely patient. As much as I adore your company, I don't want to see you any time soon, ok?" Shuri-san chuckled. I laughed alongside her and promised that I would try to do my best to stay out of the hospital (and trouble) for as long as I could, although we both knew that I was liable to get into trouble regardless of the situation I found myself in.