Chapter 33: Infiltration

Mere days after receiving the information about the person who's life I would temporarily be taking, I was called to Sir Nighteye's agency. I moved with hesitant movements, unwilling to accept the reality which was about to be thrust upon me. I could only hesitate for so long, though, after a few minutes of dawdling at the agency's front door, I inhaled sharply and marched through. There was no point in delaying the inevitable. I was going to end up venturing into the belly of the beast regardless of whether I was ready or not. There was no swaying the hero commission. My part in this operation was set in stone. The only thing I could do was try my hardest and get the little girl out of the dangerous situation she was in.

"Aizawa-Midoriya, it's nice to see you again." Sir Nighteye nodded. His imposing figure loomed over me, making me want to cower even though I knew Nighteye would do nothing to hurt me. I guess it was just an instinct which had been ingrained in me since my early childhood.

"Hello, Sir, it's lovely to see you too." I grimaced. My pathetic attempt to appear as my usual chipper self was almost embarrassing, yet Nighteye didn't mention it. Whether out of courtesy or he simply didn't notice, Sir Nighteye didn't comment on my very poor attempt at positivity, he simply beckoned me forwards as he walked towards his office.

I couldn't help but fidget uncomfortably as I sat before Sir Nighteye's imposing figure, which still managed to tower over me despite the fact that we were both seated at his desk. "I trust that you have read the contents of the file you were given closely?" Sir Nighteye asked with a singular raised eyebrow.

I quickly nodded in response to the taller male's question, I didn't much feel like annoying him. Especially since he looked like he was ready to blow a gasket at any given moment. "Yeah, I've looked at it closely. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to play the role I've been assigned, but I'll try my best." I muttered towards the carpeted floor of the office.

"I can assure you that you are aptly prepared and the duration for which you will be alone will pass without a problem." Sir Nighteye said imperiously. I felt myself relax ever so slightly at his words, confirmation from him was the perfect cure for the nerves which riddled me like maggots did a corpse.

However, something he had said hadn't gone unnoticed by me. He hadn't mentioned the entire operation going as planned, only my infiltration. Whether that be because he didn't see it as relevant information, he couldn't look that far ahead or, the grimmer of the options, the operation was going to end badly with multiple people injured, or worse, dead.

"We really don't have a lot of time to sit around. The Commission wants you in the villain base as soon as possible. I suggest you read over that file one more time and change into your hero costume. We don't have any time to waste." Sir Nighteye assert with a firm nod as he gestured for me to step into the bathrooms outside of his office so that I could change into my hero costume. I scurried out of the room as fast as I could desperate to be away from the suffocating presence of Nighteye.

I made sure to change as quickly as possible so that I didn't keep the formidable pro-hero in the other room waiting. I shrugged on my jacket and slotted my knives into their holsters as I tripped out of the door in my rush. The nerves which pounded through my veins and corrupted my mind made me clumsy. I told myself firmly that I couldn't afford to be clumsy when I was actually on the mission, even the smallest mistake could cost both me and the child who I'm supposed to be rescuing's lives. It seemed as though I was stuck in an unforgiving circle. I couldn't be nervous at potentially screwing up, yet the prospect of messing up which haunted my mind made me nervous. I was stuck in a limbo

"Finally, you've finished changing. After you transform and go into the enemy base, you will be on your own. Of course, we will give you a way to contact us, but it is only to be used in emergencies. Understood?" Sir Nighteye asked, speaking at breakneck speed. I jogged behind the man as he walked out of his office and led me downstairs, towards a covert car waiting outside of the agency.