Chapter 18: Provisional License Exam

When they actually enter the arena I start referring to them as their hero names, just a heads up. A reminder that Izu's hero name is Deviant. I've decided that Shoto's hero name wild be Ice Burn and Histoshi's is Mindjack. 

We entered the test centre and split up into our assigned changing rooms. Shuffling into our hero costumes as fast as we could so that we wouldn't miss anything important. I was just tucking my knives into their sheaths when Dad called from the door that we needed to get a move on unless we wanted to miss the explanation of the test. I quickly finish what I was doing before running out of the changing room.

"Wow, there are so many people here," I whispered in awe as I looked around at the dense crowd around me. Members of my class such as Shoto, Kacchan, Kyoka, Momo, Tsu and Ochako surrounded me. Their arms pressed into me and whenever they moved I was jolted as well. I was glad that only people from my class were surrounding me because if somebody I didn't know was pressed up against me, I might have started to panic. I turned to comment something to Shoto but was cut off by a scratchy, tired voice echoing over the speaker system.

"So... The provisional license exam. That's why you're here." The voice groaned I pushed up onto my tiptoes and just managed to peak over everybody's head to see a pale and exhausted looking man practically sprawled across his desk out of pure exhaustion. "My name is Mera and I'm from The Heroes Public Safety Commission." the man continued to groan before his head fell into his desk and he started grumbling about how busy he was.

After a few minutes of Mera grumbling and trying his hardest to lift his head off of the desk in front of him, Mera finally got to explain the format for the exam. He honestly reminded me of my dad after he had gone 3 days straight without sleeping for more than an hour. I sometimes wondered how that man functioned.

"All 1540 of you examinees will be competing in a huge freed for all activity." a few whispers ran through the crowd as Mera continued. "The modern world is full of heroes which we don't necessarily need. The speed at which incidents are solved is near-instantaneous. If you want to succeed as a hero, you need to be quick otherwise you'll get left behind. That is why we're testing you on your speed. Only the first 100 examinees who meet the requirements will be passing.". As soon as the words left Mera's lips there was an instant uproar from the crowd of aspiring heroes. I could feel my heart skip a beat at the news. Only 100 out of 1540. That was less than 10% of the candidates. The likelihood of the entire class passing suddenly seemed very, very slim.

"The aim of the game is simple. You will each be given six of these balls and have three of these sensors," Mera held up said balls and sensors, " Your job is to eliminate your opponents by using these balls to hit their targets. The targets can be placed anywhere on your body, provided they are easy to access. That means no armpits or soles of feet. Once all three of your targets have been hit, you are eliminated. To pass this test, you must eliminate two of your opponents." Mera drawled as several people stepped forward with large boxes in their hands. "We'll hand the targets and balls out once this place opens up," Mera commented before his head hit his desk and he started lightly snoring.

Everyone shared bemused looks at the words 'open up'. Whatever we had expected the words to mean, it wasn't for the walls and ceiling to literally fall away to reveal an arena with multiple environments. "What the fuck?"Kacchan and Kyoka whispered in awe as they stared out at the area which was soon to become a battlefield. My mouth fell open as I stared out at the cityscape which blended perfectly into an industrial park and rocky terrain. "As you can see there are multiple terrains within the arena. We've tried to give you as much variety as possible. Now put on your target and get out there." Mera tried to say with enthusiasm but he fell short. The poor man.

Everyone in the class had stuck their targets to themselves and we were all moving into the arena. "It's in our best interest to stick together. I think it's obvious to all of us that we're going to be targeted. The other schools think they know the full extent of our quirks and will most likely underestimate us because we're first years." I explained to my classmates as we all huddled together to speak in hushed voices. "Deviant is right. There isn't going to be much infighting which means that school are going to target others. We are the most logical target seeing as the sports festival has exposed us to our enemies. We should all stick together." Creati assessed quietly, ducking her head slightly as a random student passed us by. "It'll be hard to stick together if we're all fighting. Anything could happen, what should we do if we get split up?" Invisible Girl asked nervously. I shared a look with Creati, we both had the same idea. "Deviant and I will create communication devices. Everyone takes one and if you get lost you can use it to communicate with those near you. If we get split up, try and get into groups of at least 3 and continue the exam. Got it?"Creati asked. Everyone nodded in understanding. Our plan was set in place.