Chapter 14: Birthday Boy

*Izuku's POV*

A week had passed since I was let out of the hospital and I couldn't have been happier. After a week of being confined to a wheelchair and my legs wobbling perilously every time I tried to take a step, I was finally out of that godforsaken wheelchair. I could finally walk properly on my own. Admittedly, sometimes my legs would wobble a bit and my arms would ache. Sometimes my hand would jerk around a tiny bit as a result of the electric currents which ran through me. But other than that, I was in good health and could use my quirk again. I don't think you can even begin to comprehend the relief I felt when I could finally use my quirk. The entire week, I had only been able to watch as my friends used their quirks for the most mundane things. Whether it be for entertainment purposes or their quirks were just so well integrated into their lives that they used them for things such as cooking, cleaning or charging their phone. Even though we hadn't been in class all week and therefore hadn't been training, I still felt a pool of jealousy towards my peers because they could use their quirks so freely. I felt useless. I buried the thought as soon as it cropped up, recalling what countless people had told me, but whenever I saw someone using their quirk, I couldn't help but feel as though I was weak.

"Ok. Just because you're out of that wheelchair, it doesn't mean you can go around causing trouble and getting hurt. At the moment, I'm saying that you can't transform your body for another day or so, just to make sure no damage is done to your bone structure. Don't look at me like that young man! I will, however, permit you to convert other things." Recovery Girl chastised me as she checked over my significantly better than before injuries. She would place a kiss here or there on bruises or small cuts, but otherwise, she was just checking me over. "Do you understand?" Recovery Girl asked, her voice sharp and her eyes narrowed. I nodded my head quickly, I didn't much feel like having Recovery Girl angry at me. That never tended to end well for me. "Good. Look after yourself, Izuku. Oh! Also, Dr Ihro said that he will be bringing your medication in two days time. I'll send someone to give it to you." Recovery Girl said, helping me up and off of the hospital bed. The bed may as well have had my name on it with all of the training accidents I got in. "By the way, Happy Birthday Izuku." Recovery Girl smiled at me before pushing me from the room and closing the door in my face. I shrugged slightly with a tiny smile on my face. I couldn't believe it was my 16th birthday.

I walked back towards Height's Alliance with a skip to my step. When I had woken up that morning and realised it was my birthday, I had been ecstatic. I knew that my friends were throwing a surprise party for me. I would have had to had been an idiot to not have seen all of the signs throughout the week. Sato baking a tiered cake and decorating it with heroes. He, of course, tried to hide the cake from me, avoiding any and all questions I had. That wasn't the only indication though. Kiri, Kami, Sero and Shinso had all gone to the shop the previous day and come back with bags full of food. This was highly unusual seeing as all of the food in the dorms was replaced mysteriously when we were all sleeping. The food elves theory was very common amongst my classmates. When I had asked what food they had brought, the four of them had shared a desperate look before Shinso stepped up and smoothly lied to me, "Nothing much, just a few snacks for game night." he said with a voice like silk. I would have been inclined to believe him if I hadn't attended every game night since we had all started living in the dorms. I knew that we never needed that much food. Another indicator had been when Dad had kept me firmly away from the lounge area that morning when he was pushing me towards the main campus to Recovery Girl's office. He hadn't let me look back, a clear indication that people were doing something which concerned me not knowing in there. The final clue was less of a clue and more like an obvious slap to the face. Kaminari accidentally told me when he was in his dumb state. He had short-circuited at something Shinso had said. I hadn't even asked him, he had just stumbled over to me and babbled out, "I can't wait to see you at Izuku's surprise party, dude." before stumbling away. So yeah, I knew about my surprise party.