#20 Seven minutes in Heaven.

I lay in bed listening to the rain drumming against my window, it sounded loud enough to shatter the glass

I lay in bed listening to the rain drumming against my window, it sounded loud enough to shatter the glass. My mind replayed Liam sitting up alone in the darkness of my tree house, legs hidden under a sleeping bag trying to cling onto any ounce of warmth in the mists of a thunderstorm.

He was up there right now, dangerous, cold, dark and alone. 

What was he doing up there?

I could hear faint snoring sounds coming from the other side of my bedroom wall, my parents were asleep. Although I was tired there was no way my brain was going to shut off and let me sleep. I needed to speak to Liam. Throwing on my raincoat and grabbing the torch I snuck outside on a mission to get some answers.

The rain hasn't slowed down at all and the lightning kept pounding through the sky leaving a glow of electricity in the night air. It was scary. Even scarier knowing I had to climb up a tree in all of this. I gripped onto the soggy cedar planks and kept climbing until I reached the top. Shining the torch into the darkness where Liam once sat all yet I saw was emptiness. Liam had gone. 

***

Sunlight invaded my bedroom and I woke up disoriented, dreaming about haunting eyes ringed with sadness. I needed to speak to Liam, I needed answers. I needed to see if he was okay. Today was Saturday, I knew the soccer team would be throwing a party somewhere like they do every weekend after a Friday night win. I just needed to find out where.

Tia, where is the party tonight? You up for it? X

Always! It's at Jordans tonight. Come round about 7, I have a dress for you! xXx

Ugh Jordans. 

The waft of scrambled eggs and bacon hit me as I walked downstairs, more of moms delicious cooking, I'm not complaining, in fact it puts the biggest smile on my face and with a nod of appreciation I feel grateful that they are home. I tuck into my cooked breakfast at the kitchen counter and pluck up the courage to mention the party to my parents. Surely they couldn't say no.

"Mom, I know we're meant to have another movie night tonight but Tia has invited me to a party with her to celebrate the teams win yesterday. It's okay if I go, right?" I tried to sound casual, not giving away the nerves I felt inside.

Her eyebrows raised in shock, I'm not sure if she quite believed I had asked her this question since I never go to the parties. "A party? It's not like you to go to a party. Will there be boys and drinking there?"

What's with the questions? 

"Uh... yeah I think so. But I'm not going to be participating in any underage activities."

"Oh I don't know Olivia, I don't think it's appropriate we allow that. It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that I don't trust others."

Oh, so now she wants to play the parent.